Prof. Dr. Dres. h.c. Winfried Hassemer is the Vice President of the Bundesverfassungsgericht, Germany's Federal Constitutional Court, a post he has held since April 2002.

Since passing the first bar examination in 1964, Hassemer has held a variety of academic and administrative positions. From 1964-69, he was a research assistant at the Institute for Legal and Social Philosophy at the Saarland University. In 1970, he moved to the Ludwig-Maximilians-Universität in Munich where he was a research assistant at the Institute for Legal Philosophy. He received his Habilitation, entitling him to work as a full professor, in criminal law, criminal procedure, legal philosophy, and legal sociology in 1970, and became a professor of legal theory, legal sociology, criminal law, and criminal procedure at the Johann Wolfgang Goethe-Universität at Frankfurt.

From 1991-96, he was the official in charge or privacy and data protection matters for the state of Hessen. He was appoionted to the Federal Constitutional Court, second Senat, in 1996.

His dissertation dealt with the hermeneutics of criminal law (Tatbestand und Typus. Untersuchungen zur strafrechtlichen Hermeneutik). The work he authored for his professorship concerned the sociology of crime. (Theorie und Soziologie des Verbrechens. Ansätze zu einer praxisorientierten Rechtsgutslehre).

He has received two honorary doctorates in law, one in 1998 from the University of Thessaloniki, and the second in 2001 from the Universidade Federal de Rio de Janeiro.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.