The X2000 is a tilting high speed train that straddles the gap between ordinary trains and "real" bullet trains like the TGV and Shinkansen. While the X2000 allows a maximum speed of only 200 km/h, compared to 300+ for TGV, the tilting mechanism allows it run curves on normal track at higher speed without significant modifications to the track itself, making it far cheaper to take into use at approximately $0.5 million per km, as opposed to $9-18 million/km for building dedicated high-speed track. Do note that the X2000 was by no means the first train to use this idea, the Italian Pendolino was up and running 10 years earlier, and the X2000 differs primarily in having only the passenger cars tilt instead of the entire train.

The X2000 was concieved and ordered by SJ (formerly Statens Järnvägar, ie. Swedish State Railways, but now a stand-alone acronym) and the first unit was delivered in 1990 for use on the Stockholm-Gothenburg (Göteborg) corridor. The main contractor was ADtranz, now a part of Bombardier, which is in turn a part of ABB. An improved version of the X2000, dubbed X2-2, is now in use and the design of a 3rd version theoretically capable of up to 300 km/h is under way.

After the runaway success of the initial route X2000 trains have been taken into use on all long-distance express routes in Sweden. China has also constructed a X2000 network dubbed Xinshisu ("new speed level") running between Guangzhou (aka Canton), Shenzhen and Kowloon (in Hong Kong). The Great North Eastern Railway in the UK has also ordered an X2000 fleet for planned service between London, Yorkshire the North East and Scotland. X2000 technology was also considered for Amtrak's Acela Express, now running between Washington D.C. and Boston, but it was deemed too expensive and TGV technology was chosen instead.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.