"What you have to consider is the possibility that God doesn't like you. Could be, God hates us. This is not the worst thing that could happen." --Tyler Durden (Brad Pitt) from the movie Fight Club.

This is not a new idea. Back in the days of hell-and-brimstone religion, when everyone was going to hell and not heaven, it was proposed that God is so good, so innocent, and so pure that your sins make you look like a horrid monster in his eyes.

However, I think Tyler Durden was possibly going for a different effect. It maybe better to get negative attention from God, instead of nothing. Of course, really religious people would say that accepting God doesn't give you nothing, it gives you everything. If you are not religious, you wouldn't realize that fact.

Yet another interpretation may be that Tyler is trying to make people accept the fact that they sin, and stop striving for perfection. This was a staple of Martin Luther's protestant movement, that you cannot be perfect, everyone sins. You must look for forgiveness from God because everyone needs it.

Regardless of the religious implications, it was a good movie that made you think.


Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.