ZetaSSJ is a Chilean youtube gamer, who specializes in the Super Mario Maker games, as well as other related games. ZetaSSJ started in 2012 as a minecraft gamer, but switched to Mario games in 2015, and became much more successful for that. ZetaSSJ lives in Concepcion, makes his videos in Spanish, and, as his name suggests, is a big fan of Dragonball Z, as well as anime in general.

And this brings us to ZetaSSJ's main selling point: along with the type of scruffy boyish charm you might expect from an anime-obsessed gamer from Concepcion, ZetaSSJ is also famous for how he edits his videos. I don't know if he totally invented the idea, but he turns a rather prosaic idea--- a man playing Mario --- into a stylized and ironic narrative. In an interview, he said that he can put 10 hours of editing into a 20 minute video. His videos highlight dramatic moments by playing clips from tv shows or movies such as The Simpsons, Spongebob Squarepants, Chavo Del Ocho, Spider-Man, Toy Story, and many others, along with popular English and Spanish language songs. Also, of course, Dragonball Z. These clips are all edited in at a rapid pace, often for ironic effect---such as the swelling majestic Dragon Ball Z theme being cut short by a missed jump and a Simpson's clip. ZetaSSJ also doesn't curse on stream---at least, not without being censored by a clip.

The videos also show the mixed cultural milieu that Latin American gaming comes from: ZetaSSJ is at once time an ace, powering through difficult games, and a clown, with the clips highlighting his hangdog look when he inevitably gets trolled. He is quite popular, with 2 million subscribers, and many of his videos having millions of views. His fans have a name, "Zetayines", and many other Latin American gamers imitate his style--although not quite as densely. Also, listening to ZetaSSJ has been one of the main ways I learn Spanish.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.