On the way to retake The Holy Land during The Third Crusade (1189-1192), King Richard I and Philip II took the time to take the town of Acre (Akko), a port on preasent-day Israel's northwest coast.

They held roughly 2 500 to 2 700 civilians hostage and then Richard just killed them, children and all, alike.

After Richards brutality at Acre, Saracen mothers for many years would quiet and frighten children by telling them if they did not behave 'Richard would come for them'.

Good King Richard the Lion-Hearted. :-)

A measure of area, for some unfathomable reason still in use in the UK and the United States of America.

Or... a town in northern Israel. It's on the
Mediterranean coast, roughly half way between Haifa and Nahariya. Its a mixed town: the population is drawn from Jewish and Arab(both Christian and Muslim) sectors. The place is a pretty good commercial for coexistence, despite a few hiccups around the start of the al-Aqsa Intifada in October, 2000. Napoleon once fought battles over this place, and killed rather a lot of unfortunate people, but today, its a pleasant, not-too-touristy place to visit, where you're unlikely to become embroiled in stone-throwing incidents.

A"cre (#), n. [OE. aker, AS. aecer; akin to OS. accar, OHG. achar, Ger. acker, Icel. akr, Sw. �x86;ker, Dan. ager, Goth. akrs, L. ager, Gr. , Skr. ajra. 2, 206.]

1.

Any field of arable or pasture land.

[Obs.]

2.

A piece of land, containing 160 square rods, or 4,840 square yards, or 43,560 square feet. This is the English statute acre. That of the United States is the same. The Scotch acre was about 1.26 of the English, and the Irish 1.62 of the English.

⇒ The acre was limited to its present definite quantity by statutes of Edward I., Edward III., and Henry VIII.

Broad acres, many acres, much landed estate. [Rhetorical] -- God's acre, God's field; the churchyard.

I like that ancient Saxon phrase, which calls

The burial ground, God's acre. Longfellow.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.