BAN - British Approved Name - official terminology of the producers of the British Pharmacopoeia for the generic name of the active constituent of a medicine or drug. These have recently been mostly revoked from official EU use in favour of INNs, International Nonpropriertary Names, although for the sake of claity adrenaline is still called so, and not epinephrine due to the high risk of danger were it to be misinterpreted in acute emergencies.

Amongst names that differ between BAN and INNs and other nonproprietary names which encounter most day to day problems is paracetamol which is known in North America as acetaminophen causing endless confusion for travellers from both sides of the pond when trying to purchase basic analgesia from a pharmacy or chemist.

BAN's are still used extensively in non-EU English speaking nations (eg Commonwealth countries such as Australia) making further confusion likely as there is not insignificant transfer of medical manpower bewteen such countries. EU regulations may play havoc to even this recoprocity though, as recent legislation may have made the traditional 2 year working visa for Antipodeans wishing to practice pharmacy in the UK almost impossible financially due to a refusal to recognise equivalency in professional qualifications.

Ban (ban), n.

A kind of fine muslin, made in the East Indies from the fiber of the banana leaf stalks.

 

© Webster 1913


Ban (ban), n. [AS. bann command, edict; akin to D. ban, Icel. bann, Dan. band, OHG. ban, G. bann, a public proclamation, as of interdiction or excommunication, Gr. fa`nai to say, L. fari to speak, Skr. bhan to speak; cf. F. ban, LL. bannum, of G. origin. √86. Cf. Abandon, Fame.]

1.

A public proclamation or edict; a public order or notice, mandatory or prohibitory; a summons by public proclamation.

2. (Feudal & Mil.)

A calling together of the king's (esp. the French king's) vassals for military service; also, the body of vassals thus assembled or summoned. In present usage, in France and Prussia, the most effective part of the population liable to military duty and not in the standing army.

3. pl.

Notice of a proposed marriage, proclaimed in church. See Banns (the common spelling in this sense).

4.

An interdiction, prohibition, or proscription. "Under ban to touch." Milton.

5.

A curse or anathema. "Hecate's ban." Shak.

6.

A pecuniary mulct or penalty laid upon a delinquent for offending against a ban; as, a mulct paid to a bishop by one guilty of sacrilege or other crimes.

Ban of the empire (German Hist.), an imperial interdict by which political rights and privileges, as those of a prince, city, or district, were taken away.

 

© Webster 1913


Ban, v. t. [imp. & p. p. Banned (band); p. pr. & vb. n. Banning.] [OE. bannen, bannien, to summon, curse, AS. bannan to summon; akin to Dan. bande, forbande, to curse, Sw. banna to revile, bannas to curse. See Ban an edict, and cf. Banish.]

1.

To curse; to invoke evil upon. Sir W. Scott.

2.

To forbid; to interdict. Byron.

 

© Webster 1913


Ban, v. i.

To curse; to swear. [Obs.] Spenser.

 

© Webster 1913


Ban, n. [Serv. ban; cf. Russ. & Pol. pan a master, lord, Per. ban.]

An ancient title of the warden of the eastern marches of Hungary; now, a title of the viceroy of Croatia and Slavonia.

 

© Webster 1913

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.