A breed of dog also known as the Russian Wolfhound, this breed of dog was originally bred in Czarist Russia to hunt and kill wolves. It resembles a Greyhound with slightly longer fur and its name is derived from the Russian word for “fast”. It is also closely related to the Afghan Hound and Sulki.

Highly regarded in Russia, the Czar even gifted the dogs to the rulers of other countries such as Queen Victoria in England. After the 1917 Revolution, however they fell out of favor and became extremely rare in native country, but in the 1940s, they made a resurgence, they were and still are revered for their hunting abilities and speed.  They are extremely popular in Western Europe and the United States, where they are still popular today, but more as pets and show dogs.

The height of their popularity was in the early part of the 20th century. The Captain of the Titanic owned one and their elegant style made them extremely popular in the Art Deco period. In the 1920s and 30s, they were commonly seen in paintings and sculptures and often accompanied beautiful women such as socialites and movie stars.

Publishing firm Alfred A. Knopf known for its many critically acclaimed literary works, has a Borzoi logo and a Borzoi even joined Pink Floyd for a song in their Live at Pompeii film.

 



Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.