One of the strangest bands I’ve listened to. The members of the band are Gibby (Gibson) Haynes, Paul Leary, and King Coffey. The only way I can describe their music is psychedelic country rock. (If that makes any sense) Their stage shows usually consist of backdrop projections of everything from auto accidents to sex change operations played in reverse. They became Butthole Surfers when an announcer mistook one of their songs for the name of the band. In 1981 they were signed to Alternative Tentacle by Jello Biafra. (Front man and lead singer of the Dead Kennedys’)

Some of their albums include Butthole Surfers, Live PCPPEP, Psychic…Powerless…Another Man’s Sac, Cream Corn From the Socket of Davis EP, Rembrandt Pussywhore , Locust Abortion Technician, Hairway to Steven, Doublelive, Widowmaker!, The Hurdy Gurdy Man EP, Pioughd, The Hole Truth and Nothing Butt, Independent Wormhole Saloon, and most recently Electric Larryland.

An interesting story: Back when Gibby was in high school he played football. He had quite an arm but I think he had to stop playing because of a knee injury. Anyway at a show in Germany it was rumored that there was a fan heckling him in the crowd. Gibby, being drunk, as usual took a full can of Budweiser and threw a long pass right into the guys forehead. Now this guy was a good 50 feet but Gibby still managed to put a ¼ inch dent in the kids’ skull. He was taken out on a stretcher and Gibby had to avoid German police for the rest of the night.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.