When arresting someone in the UK, you might be entitled to do so under several different laws. For a 'citizen's arrest', you would be using PACE (the Police and Criminal Evidence Act) of 1981 section 24a. A police officer would use section 24 most of the time, although some other laws (like 'drink driving' laws) might contain separate powers of arrest.

To arrest somebody, an UK police officer would need to have reasonable suspicion of a crime having been committed (whether in the past, present, or a 'reasonable suspicion' of a crime about to be committed), and a reason for the arrest. A valid reason for arrest might be a need for further investigation, a risk of escape, a risk of harm to a person, loss of property / damage to property, harm to a child or vulnerable person, ascertainment of name and address etc.

Upon arrest, an officer would have to read the person they are arresting their 'caution'. This is the UK equivalent of the Miranda Rights.

The caution, in full, is "You do not have to say anything, but it may harm your defence if you do not mention when questioned something which you may later rely on in court. Anything you do say may be given in evidence".

Cau"tion (?), n. [F. caution a security, L. cautio, fr. cavere (For scavere) to be on one's guard, to take care (orig.) to be on the watch, see; akin to E. show.]

1.

A careful attention to the probable effects of an act, in order that failure or harm may be avoided; prudence in regard to danger; provident care; wariness.

2.

Security; guaranty; bail. [R.]

The Parliament would yet give his majesty sufficient caution that the war should be prosecuted.
Clarendon.

3.

Precept or warning against evil of any kind; exhortation to wariness; advice; injunction.

In way of caution I must tell you.
Shak.

Caution money, money deposited by way of security or guaranty, as by a student at an English university.

Syn. -- Care; forethought; forecast; heed; prudence; watchfulness; vigilance; circumspection; anxiety; providence; counsel; advice; warning; admonition.

 

© Webster 1913


Cau"tion v. t. [imp. & p. p. Cautioned (?); p. pr. & vb. n. Cautioning.]

To give notice of danger to; to warn; to exhort [one] to take heed.

You cautioned me against their charms.
Swift.

 

© Webster 1913


Cau"tion, n. (Civil & Scots Law)

A pledge, bond, or other security for the performance of an obligation either in or out of judicial proceedings; the promise or contract of one not for himself but another; security.

 

© Webster 1913

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.