The chamber is the part of a firearm that holds the ammunition to be fired. Not to be confused with the magazine (more well known by the misnomer clip), which holds the rest of the ammunition.

Revolvers have several chambers--anywhere from three to twelve, with five or six being most common--which rotate to line up with the barrel to fire, while automatic pistols have only one--after firing, the first round is ejected, and the next one is stripped from the magazine and loaded into the chamber to be fired. Most rifles and shotguns also have only one chamber.

A chamber is the term in certain martial arts for a place where a limb is held ready to strike. A typical hand chamber is the fist held horizontally at the side of the body. A leg chamber would often be the knee held as high as possible with the leg pointing down vertically, ready to kick.

Chambers are more likely to occur in forms and drills, and perhaps sparring the in street fights.

Cham"ber (?), n. [F. chambre, fr. L. camera vault, arched roof, in LL. chamber, fr. Gr. anything with a vaulted roof or arched covering; cf. Skr. kmar to be crooked. Cf. Camber, Camera, Comrade.]

1.

A retired room, esp. an upper room used for sleeping; a bedroom; as, the house had four chambers.

2. pl.

Apartments in a lodging house.

"A bachelor's life in chambers."

Thackeray.

3.

A hall, as where a king gives audience, or a deliberative body or assembly meets; as, presence chamber; senate chamber.

4.

A legislative or judicial body; an assembly; a society or association; as, the Chamber of Deputies; the Chamber of Commerce.

5.

A compartment or cell; an inclosed space or cavity; as, the chamber of a canal lock; the chamber of a furnace; the chamber of the eye.

6. pl. Law.

A room or rooms where a lawyer transacts business; a room or rooms where a judge transacts such official business as may be done out of court.

7.

A chamber pot.

[Colloq.]

8. Mil. (a)

That part of the bore of a piece of ordnance which holds the charge, esp. when of different diameter from the rest of the bore; -- formerly, in guns, made smaller than the bore, but now larger, esp. in breech-loading guns.

(b)

A cavity in a mine, usually of a cubical form, to contain the powder.

(c)

A short piece of ornance or cannon, which stood on its breech, without any carriage, formerly used chiefly for rejoicings and theatrical cannonades.

Air chamber. See Air chamber, in the Vocabulary. -- Chamber of commerce, a board or association to protect the interests of commerce, chosen from among the merchants and traders of a city. -- Chamber council, a secret council. Shak. -- Chamber counselcounselor, a counselor who gives his opinion in private, or at his chambers, but does not advocate causes in court. -- Chamber fellow, a chamber companion; a roommate; a chum. -- Chamber hangings, tapestry or hangings for a chamber. -- Chamber lye, urine. Shak. -- Chamber music, vocal or instrumental music adapted to performance in a chamber or small apartment or audience room, instead of a theater, concert hall, or chuch. -- Chamber practice Law., the practice of counselors at law, who give their opinions in private, but do not appear in court. -- To sit at chambers, to do business in chambers, as a judge.

 

© Webster 1913.


Cham"ber (?), v. i. [imp. & p. p. Chambered (?); p. pr. & vb. n. Chambering.]

1.

To reside in or occupy a chamber or chambers.

2.

To be lascivious.

[Obs.]

 

© Webster 1913.


Cham"ber, v. t.

1.

To shut up, as inn a chamber.

Shak.

2.

To furnish with a chamber; as, to chamber a gun.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.