Also the name of a Horror Role-Playing Game created by Mayfair Games in 1990, now sadly out of print.
The system is different from many Horror Roleplaying games, in that the PCs are simple ordinary people, with no magic powers (though they can eventually learn them) or superhuman abilities. They are also unlikely all to be soldiers or vigilantes. Indeed, the majority of players will be librarians, factory workers, scientists, shop workers or other ordinary, run-of-the-mill occupations. Players deciding to be an Army Veteran who happens to study the occult and ways of defeating evil monsters are not entering the spirit of the game.
The game is based on a percentile system. Each player has 8 stats: Strength, Agility, Dexterity, Stamina, Perception, Personality, Willpower and Luck. Most skill rolls are based on horrendously complicated mixtures of these stats, with a bonus for the level of the skill you have. There are three levels of skill knowledge: Student (+15), Teacher (+30) and Master (+50).
Chill is different to many similar games because the characters are not heroes. They are normal people. They rarely dispatch mighty demons from the Unknown. Most of the time, they run, and hide, and fear. the goal of the Game is not to win, but to survive for another few hours... and doing so requires skill, quick thinking and luck. Otherwise, you simply fail and die - if you're lucky.

Chilling is one of man's most ancient activities. To chill is to make a point of chilling out, of being relaxed and content. Chilling varies from culture to culture and person to person, but normally consists of some or all of the following things:

  • seated positions
  • good conversation
  • quiet atmosphere
  • a mild form of escapism
  • a long amount of time.
Chilling is hard to do when you have something on your mind, but can be exactly what you need to take your mind off it. Chilling with strangers can be great, but the true joy is to chill with close friends that you get along very well with. Personally, I think chilling against the clock is a bit of a no-no, because it's hard to relax when you need to be somewhere soon. Of course, if one has limited time perhaps the only thing one can do is to chill with a nearby session.

Chill (?), n. [AS. cele, cyle, from the same root as celan, calan, to be cold; akin to D. kil cold, coldness, Sw. kyla to chill, and E. cool. See Cold, and cf. Cool.]

1.

A moderate but disagreeable degree of cold; a disagreeable sensation of coolness, accompanied with shivering.

"[A] wintry chill." W. Irving.

2. Med.

A sensation of cold with convulsive shaking of the body, pinched face, pale skin, and blue lips, caused by undue cooling of the body or by nervous excitement, or forming the precursor of some constitutional disturbance, as of a fever.

3.

A check to enthusiasm or warmth of feeling; discouragement; as, a chill comes over an assemblly.

4.

An iron mold or portion of a mold, serving to cool rapidly, and so to harden, the surface of molten iron brought in contact with it.

Raymond.

5.

The hardened part of a casting, as the tread of a car wheel.

Knight.

Chill and fever, fever and ague.

 

© Webster 1913.


Chill, a.

1.

Moderately cold; tending to cause shivering; chilly; raw.

Noisome winds, and blasting vapors chill. Milton.

2.

Affected by cold.

"My veins are chill."

Shak.

3.

Characterized by coolness of manner, feeling, etc.; lacking enthusiasm or warmth; formal; distant; as, a chill reception.

4.

Discouraging; depressing; dispiriting.

 

© Webster 1913.


Chill, v. t. [imp. & p. p. Chilled (ch�xcc;ld); p. pr. & vb. n. Chilling.]

1.

To strike with a chill; to make chilly; to cause to shiver; to affect with cold.

When winter chilled the day. Goldsmith.

2.

To check enthusiasm or warmth of feeling of; to depress; to discourage.

Every thought on God chills the gayety of his spirits. Rogers.

3. Metal.

To produce, by sudden cooling, a change of crystallization at or near the surface of, so as to increase the hardness; said of cast iron.

 

© Webster 1913.


Chill, v. i. Metal.

To become surface-hardened by sudden cooling while solidifying; as, some kinds of cast iron chill to a greater depth than others.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.