Clomipramine hydrochloride is an antidepressant in the tricyclic category. It is used in the treatment of depression, anxiety, bi-polar disorder and obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD). It is also known as anafranil. It is available in 25mg, 50mg and 75mg capsules, or in liquid form.

Like any medication, Clomipramine has associated side effects, the most common of which include dry mouth, nausea, shakes or tremors, drowsiness, constipation and excessive perspiration. Other less common side effects include weight changes, blurred vision and impotence. Side effects experienced (if any) usually subside after a reasonably short time.

I have a vivid recollection of my experience of being prescribed Clomipramine Hydrochloride. It was the first medication prescribed to me after I was diagnosed with depression. I started off on 25mg, which over a period of time was increased to 175mg. Unfortunately, the side effects I suffered whilst on Clomipramine made things quite uncomfortable for me for a period of time. I suffered from a very dry mouth, tremors and drowsiness. The side effects didn't subside over time, if anything they got worse as my dosage increased. It got to the stage where I was taking two or three litres of water to work in the call centre with me to drink over an 8 hour shift. One night in the pub, I was shaking so badly that the best part of half a pint of cider down my arm! But for me, the biggest problem was drowsiness. It got to the stage where I was so tired I could sleep 18-20 hours out of every 24. I could fall asleep in the most unlikely of places... it wasn't uncommon to fall asleep on my partners kitchen floor (in fact one night I fell asleep on the floor half in the bedroom, half in the hallway).

After I decided that I couldn't continue like that (after about four months) I was taken off Clomipramine and moved on to Seroxat which is a different category of antidepressant. Seroxat is a selective serotonin re-uptake inhibitor (or SSRI for short). Since changing to Seroxat my life has improved drastically, and the side effects have all but disappeared. I now only occasionally suffer from slight stomach cramps if I haven't eaten when I should.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.