Com"pro*mise (?), n. [F. compromis, fr. L. compromissum a mutual promise to abide by the decision of an arbiter, fr. compromittere to make such a promise; com- + promittere to promise. See Promise.]

1.

A mutual agreement to refer matters in dispute to the decision of arbitrators.

[Obs.]

Burrill.

2.

A settlement by arbitration or by mutual consent reached by concession on both sides; a reciprocal abatement of extreme demands or rights, resulting in an agreement.

But basely yielded upon compromise That which his noble ancestors achieved with blows. Shak.

All government, indeed every human benefit and enjoyment, every virtue and every prudent act, is founded on compromise and barter. Burke.

An abhorrence of concession and compromise is a never failing characteristic of religious factions. Hallam.

3.

A committal to something derogatory or objectionable; a prejudicial concession; a surrender; as, a compromise of character or right.

I was determined not to accept any fine speeches, to the compromise of that sex the belonging to which was, after all, my strongest claim and title to them. Lamb.

 

© Webster 1913.


Com"pro*mise, v. t. [imp. & p. p. Compromised (?); p. pr. & vb. n. Compromising.] [From Compromise, n.; cf. Compromit.]

1.

To bind by mutual agreement; to agree.

[Obs.]

Laban and himself were compromised That all the eanlings which were streaked and pied Should fall as Jacob's hire. Shak.

2.

To adjust and settle by mutual concessions; to compound.

The controversy may easily be compromised. Fuller.

3.

To pledge by some act or declaration; to endanger the life, reputation, etc., of, by some act which can not be recalled; to expose to suspicion.

To pardon all who had been compromised in the late disturbances. Motley.

 

© Webster 1913.


Com"pro*mise, v. i.

1.

To agree; to accord.

[Obs.]

2.

To make concession for concilation and peace.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.