Con*nec"tion (?), n. [Cf. Connexion.]

1.

The act of connecting, or the state of being connected; junction; union; alliance; relationship.

He [Algazel] denied the possibility of a known connection between cause and effect. Whewell.

The eternal and inserable connection between virtue and hapiness. Atterbury.

2.

That which connects or joins together; bond; tie.

Any sort of connection which is perceived or imagined between two or more things. I. Taylor.

3.

A relation; esp. a person connected with another by marriage rather than by blood; -- used in a loose and indefinite, and sometimes a comprehensive, sense.

4.

The persons or things that are connected; as, a business connection; the Methodist connection.

Men elevated by powerful connection. Motley.

At the head of a strong parliamentary connection. Macaulay.

Whose names, forces, connections, and characters were perfectly known to him. Macaulay.

In this connection, in connection with this subject. [A phrase objected to by some writers.]

⇒ This word was formerly written, as by Milton, with x instead of t in the termination, connexion, and the same thing is true of the kindred words inflexion, reflexion, and the like. But the general usage at present is to spell them connection, inflection, reflection, etc.

Syn. -- Union; coherence; continuity; junction; association; dependence; intercourse; commerce; communication; affinity; relationship.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.