A generic name for the machines which were once so strongly associated with Xerox that their name was sometimes used as a generic term for the device, and as a verb meaning to make copies on such a device. These days, many other companies make copy machines. Xerox still makes copy machines too, including the DocuTech line of high-speed duplicators that make up to 135 copies per minute. These machines store book-sized print jobs in memory and print the pages of such jobs in order, to avoid the need for collation.

Also called copier, photocopier.

Analogue and digital copiers - a comparison

Analogue copy machines (which do everything with mirrors, basically) are nowadays outphased by the more modern, digital machines.

A digital copier is a combination scanner/laser printer, often equipped with hard disks, local ram, multiple CPUs and printer/scanner boards.

While analogie copiers have no fixed resolution (the quality of the reproduction depends on the fineness of the toner and the quality of the optics), normal photocopiers work with something like 300,400, 600 and 1200 dpi. One advantage of digital systems is that the scanned image can be stored and manipulated - or printed many times with a single scan. Still - this ability makes digital low-end machines more expensive. On the other hand, high-speed analogue copiers are limited in speed by the capability of the machine to move sheets of paper without jamming.

The main bottleneck in the design of digital copiers is not the paper handling but the time needed to write the image on the photosensitive drum.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.