Dakbokkumtang is a traditional Korean spicy chicken stew which became my favorite dish to cook in these days.
This food is better known as Dakdoritang to most of people,
but its name was recently changed because some Korean people argued that the word 'dori' was from Japan which means 'bird'.
It's not only spicy but sweet, and both Korean and non-Korean people love this dish.
It requires lots of ingredients but once you try it, It's not complicated at all!
Best served with rice.

Ingredients

Chicken 1300g (Any part you like. In my case, I only use drumsticks and wings)
2 Potatoes
1 Carrot
1 Onion
1 Green Onion
Chicken Stock 3~4C
Oil

For marinating chicken :
Salt
Ground Black Pepper
Cooking Wine 3 tablespoons

For sauce :
Chilli paste 4 tablespoons (You can buy from Korean grocery store. It's called 'gochujang')
Chilli powder 4 tablespoons
Soy sauce 3 tablespoons
Starch syrup 1 tablespoon
Pounded garlic 4 tablespoons
Sesame oil 1 teaspoon
little bit of Grounded Black Pepper


Cooking instructions

1. Make sauce by mixing all the 'ingredients for sauce' (above)
2. Wash the chicken and marinate with 'ingredients for marinating chicken' (above) - salt,pepper and cooking wine
3. Dice potatoes, carrot and onion.
4. Cover the pan with oil and cook chicken only until the skin (or surface) is cooked.
5. Move the chicken away (It's better if you can filter the oil from chicken at this stage) and cook diced vegetables on the pan.
6. Add both chicken and sauce (from step 1) to the pan with vegetables.
(until all the chicken and vegetables are covered with the sauce)
7. Move all the chicken and vegetables in the pot and pour chicken stock.
(You shouldn't be able to see the chicken or veges. If you can, pour cold water until all the ingredients are soaked.)
8. Boil for 50 minutes with big fire. (or until it looks like stew. Soup should be quite thick)
9. Add green onion(Cut into 4-5cm long) and cook for 5 more minutes.

Done!
It takes some time for boiling, but otherwise it's really simple and easy.
ENJOY!

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.