Demise (a laying down), in law, a grant by lease; in applied to an estate either in fee-simple, fee-tail, or for a term of life or years. As applied to the crown of England, demise signifies its transmission to the next heir on being laid down by the sovereign at death.


Entry from Everybody's Cyclopedia, 1912.

De*mise" (?), n. [F. d'emettre, p. p. d'emis, d'emise, to put away, lay down; pref. d'e- (L. de or dis-) + mettre to put, place, lay, fr. L. mittere to send. See Mission, and cf. Dismiss, Demit.]

1.

Transmission by formal act or conveyance to an heir or successor; transference; especially, the transfer or transmission of the crown or royal authority to a successor.

2.

The decease of a royal or princely person; hence, also, the death of any illustrious person.

After the demise of the Queen [of George II.], in 1737, they [drawing-rooms] were held but twice a week. P. Cunningham.

3. Law

The conveyance or transfer of an estate, either in fee for life or for years, most commonly the latter.

Bouvier.

⇒ The demise of the crown is a transfer of the crown, royal authority, or kingdom, to a successor. Thus, when Edward IV. was driven from his throne for a few months by the house of Lancaster, this temporary transfer of his dignity was called a demise. Thus the natural death of a king or queen came to be denominated a demise, as by that event the crown is transferred to a successor.

Blackstone.

Demise and redemise, a conveyance where there are mutual leases made from one to another of the same land, or something out of it.

Syn. -- Death; decease; departure. See Death.

 

© Webster 1913.


De*mise", v. t. [imp. & p. p. Demised (?); p. pr. & vb. n. Demising.]

1.

To transfer or transmit by succession or inheritance; to grant or bestow by will; to bequeath.

"Power to demise my lands."

Swift.

What honor Canst thou demise to any child of mine? Shak.

2.

To convey; to give.

[R.]

His soul is at his conception demised to him. Hammond.

3. Law

To convey, as an estate, be lease; to lease.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.