De*pos"it (?), v. t. [imp. & p. p. Depoited; p. pr. & vb. n. Depositing.] [L. depositus, p. p. of deponere. See Depone, and cf. Deposit, n.]

1.

To lay down; to place; to put; to let fall or throw down (as sediment); as, a crocodile deposits her eggs in the sand; the waters deposited a rich alluvium.

The fear is deposited in conscience. Jer. Taylor.

2.

To lay up or away for safekeeping; to put up; to store; as, to deposit goods in a warehouse.

3.

To lodge in some one's hands for sale keeping; to commit to the custody of another; to intrust; esp., to place in a bank, as a sum of money subject to order.

4.

To lay aside; to rid one's self of.

[Obs.]

If what is written prove useful to you, to the depositing that which i can not deem an error. Hammond.

⇒ Both this verb and the noun following written deposite.

 

© Webster 1913.


De*pos"it, n. [L. depositum, fr. depositus, p. p. of deponere: cf. F. d'epot, OF. depost. See Deposit, v. t., and cf. Depot.]

1.

That is deposited, or laid or thrown down; as, a deposit in a flue; especially, matter precipitated from a solution (as the siliceous deposits of hot springs), or that which is mechanically deposited (as the mud, gravel, etc., deposits of a river).

The deposit already formed affording to the succeeding portion of the charged fluid a basis. Kirwan.

2. Mining

A natural occurrence of a useful mineral under the conditions to invite exploitation.

Raymond.

3.

That which is placed anywhere, or in any one's hands, for safe keeping; somthing intrusted to the care of another; esp., money lodged with a bank or banker, subject to order; anything given as pledge or security.

4. Law (a)

A bailment of money or goods to be kept gratuitously for the bailor.

(b)

Money lodged with a party as earnest or security for the performance of a duty assumed by the person depositing.

5.

A place of deposit; a depository.

[R.]

Bank of deposit. See under Bank. -- In deposit, or On deposit, in trust or safe keeping as a deposit; as, coins were recieved on deposit.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.