Diffuse has been called the backbone of reality. I admit this isn't my statement, I have taken it off Visual Magic Magazine in this article:
http://www.visualmagic.awn.com/mag/june98/brc.html

Diffuse is essentially the amount of light that hits the surface of an object and is diffused, then reflected at the viewer. In terms of computer graphics, it is the property that will dictate to the renderer exactly which amount of rays to reflect. Thus image maps can be crafted to represent the differing diffusion of a given surface.

On average, and object that you would commonly see will only diffuse somewhere between 60% to 80% of the light that hits it.

Diffuse is the property that defines how bright an object is which essentially dictates the brightness and therefore the overall colour of an object. As a result it really defines what we perceive as reality.

Dif*fuse" (?), v. t. [imp. & p. p. Diffused (?); p. pr. & vb. n. Diffusing.] [L. diffusus, p. p. of diffundere to pour out, to diffuse; dif- = dis- + fundere to pour. See Fuse to melt.]

To pour out and cause to spread, as a fluid; to cause to flow on all sides; to send out, or extend, in all directions; to spread; to circulate; to disseminate; to scatter; as to diffuse information.

Thence diffuse His good to worlds and ages infinite. Milton.

We find this knowledge diffused among all civilized nations. Whewell.

Syn. -- To expand; spread; circulate; extend; scatter; disperse; publish; proclaim.

 

© Webster 1913.


Dif*fuse", v. i.

To pass by spreading every way, to diffuse itself.

 

© Webster 1913.


Dif*fuse" (?), a. [L. diffusus, p. p.]

Poured out; widely spread; not restrained; copious; full; esp., of style, opposed to concise or terse; verbose; prolix; as, a diffuse style; a diffuse writer.

A diffuse and various knowledge of divine and human things. Milton.

Syn. -- Prolix; verbose; wide; copious; full. See Prolix.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.