In astrological terms, the word dignity is applied when a planet is in the sign it rules. It lends strength to the nature of the planet and makes the individual with a dignified planet more responsive to the planets energies.

Planetary Dignities:

  • Moon in Cancer
  • Mercury in Gemini and Mercury in Virgo
  • Venus in Taurus and Venus in Libra
  • Sun in Leo
  • Mars in Aries
  • Jupiter in Sagittarius
  • Saturn in Capricorn
  • Uranus in Aquarius
  • Neptune in Pisces
  • Pluto in Scorpio

  • Dig"ni*ty (?), n.; pl. Dignities (#). [OE. dignete, dignite, OF. dignet'e, dignit'e, F. dignit'e, fr. L. dignitas, from dignus worthy. See Dainty, Deign.]

    1.

    The state of being worthy or honorable; elevation of mind or character; true worth; excellence.

    2.

    Elevation; grandeur.

    The dignity of this act was worth the audience of kings. Shak.

    3.

    Elevated rank; honorable station; high office, political or ecclesiastical; degree of excellence; preferment; exaltation.

    Macaulay.

    And the king said, What honor and dignity hath been done to Mordecai for this? Esth. vi. 3.

    Reuben, thou art my firstborn, . . . the excellency of dignity, and the excellency of power. Gen. xlix. 3.

    4.

    Quality suited to inspire respect or reverence; loftiness and grace; impressiveness; stateliness; -- said of en, manner, style, etc.

    A letter written with singular energy and dignity of thought d language. Macaulay.

    5.

    One holding high rank; a dignitary.

    These filthy dreamers . . . speak evil of dignities. Jude. 8.

    6.

    Fundamental principle; axiom; maxim.

    [Obs.]

    Sciences concluding from dignities, and principles known by themselves. Sir T. Browne.

    Syn. -- See Decorum.

    To stand upon one's dignity, to have or to affect a high notion of one's own rank, privilege, or character.

    They did not stand upon their dignity, nor give their minds to being or to seeming as elegant and as fine as anybody else. R. G. White.

     

    © Webster 1913.

    Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.