Poetry collection by Lucy A. Snyder, better known to us Everythingians as Lucy-S. It was published by Raw Dog Screaming Press in 2021. 

There are few things more difficult than reviewing poetry. "I liked it, the words were great, and I really felt something" just doesn't make for a good review.

But we'll note this first of all: Lucy Snyder has written numerous books of poetry, earned more than one major award for her work, and generally writes house-rocking, teeth-smashing, grab-you-by-the-throat poetry -- which means any new book of poetry she produces is definitely worth checking out. Her new poetry collection is probably her most eclectic -- and most exciting -- work yet.

If there's a theme to the poems we find within, it's in the title of the book itself -- a lot of these poems are about the exposed nerves that fill us with sorrow, fear, and anger. The book is divided into four sections -- "Dark Matter," a grab-bag of horrors and terrors mundane and supernatural; "You Might Feel a Slight Sting," for a host of medical nightmares; "With Torches," full of the frustrations of modern life and the enraging crap we endure from the bigots and creeps who surround us; and "Final Frontiers," our landing pad in the somewhat more optimistic worlds of science fiction.

What we get is, most of all, an invigorating dose of righteous fury wrapped around a core of beautiful, excellently crafted poetic language. Yes, the whole world is screwed up, badly screwed up, good people suffer, bad people flourish, and you have every right to be angry and sad and fearful -- and here's some poetry to help you get through it all.

I think the last section with the sci-fi poetry, much of it more hopeful, has an important place here, too. After a lot of pain and horror and rage, the last section serves as a reminder that we can and should always hope, plan, and work toward a more hopeful future. Plus Snyder's SF poetry is really excellent and fun, and it should get spotlighted more often.

A few favorites:

Additionally, "Exposed Nerves" was announced as one of the nominees for "Superior Achievement in a Poetry Collection" in the 2021 Bram Stoker Awards. So you know it's not just me who thinks it's purty good. 

Looking for beautiful poetry that'll help you give voice to your anger, fears, and hopes? You'll definitely want to pick this one up.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.