Fight (?), v. i. [imp. & p. p. Fought (?); p. pr. & vb. n. Fighting.] [OE. fihten, fehten, AS. feohtan; akin to D. vechten, OHG. fehtan, G. fechten, Sw. fakta, Dan. fegte, and perh. to E. fist; cf. L. pugnare to fight, pugnus fist.]

1.

To strive or contened for victory, with armies or in single combat; to attempt to defeat, subdue, or destroy an enemy, either by blows or weapons; to contend in arms; -- followed by with or against.

You do fight against your country's foes. Shak.

To fight with thee no man of arms will deign. Milton.

2.

To act in opposition to anything; to struggle against; to contend; to strive; to make resistance.

To fight shy, to avoid meeting fairly or at close quarters; to keep out of reach.

 

© Webster 1913.


Fight, v. t.

1.

To carry on, or wage, as a conflict, or battle; to win or gain by struggle, as one's way; to sustain by fighting, as a cause.

He had to fight his way through the world. Macaulay.

I have fought a good fight. 2 Tim. iv. 7.

2.

To contend with in battle; to war against; as, they fought the enemy in two pitched battles; the sloop fought the frigate for three hours.

3.

To cause to fight; to manage or maneuver in a fight; as, to fight cocks; to fight one's ship.

To fight it out, to fight until a decisive and conclusive result is reached.

 

© Webster 1913.


Fight, n. [OE. fight, feht, AS. feoht. See Fight, v. i.]

1.

A battle; an engagement; a contest in arms; a combat; a violent conflict or struggle for victory, between individuals or between armies, ships, or navies, etc.

Who now defies thee thrice to single fight. Milton.

2.

A struggle or contest of any kind.

3.

Strength or disposition for fighting; pugnacity; as, he has a great deal of fight in him.

[Colloq.]

4.

A screen for the combatants in ships.

[Obs.]

Up with your fights, and your nettings prepare. Dryden.

Running fight, a fight in which the enemy is continually chased; also, one which continues without definite end or result.

Syn. -- Combat; engagement; contest; struggle; encounter; fray; affray; action; conflict. See Battle.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.