The Fighter character class is a staple of class-based role-playing games such as Dungeons and Dragons. In Basic D&D, and in 1st Edition Advanced Dungeons and Dragons, the fighter was a strong but uninteresting class, whose abilties consisted principally of being able to hand out more injury per experience point earned than any other. Paladins, Rangers, Cavaliers, and sundry other additional classes were better level-for-level, but required more XP for levels. This system, incidentally, destroyed any hope of level-balanced adventuring at higher levels.

In AD&D's Second Edition, the Fighter was a sub-class of the warrior group, which also included Paladins and Rangers. There were a few fighter-only benefits, such as weapon specialisation, but they remained essentially a quirk-free benchmark class. Additionally, an optional rule was introduced allowing them even more XP for kills than before.

In the new Third Edition, there are no class groups, and the fighter's attack progression is matched by Paladins, Rangers, Barbarians and (in Oriental Adventures) Samurai. However, the fighter's interest is increased by the class's wide access to combat-oriented feats. This gives a well-designed Fighter as much variety as a Wizard or Rogue, and has certainly led me to consider the class as serious role-playing material for the first time. Fighters gain more options from the sourcebook Sword and Fist.

In all editions, fighters have at least equal best attack progression, range of weapons and armour, and combat-friendly skill selection.

Fight"er (?), n. [AS. feohtere.]

One who fights; a combatant; a warrior.

Shak.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.