Contraption created for critter catching.

That’s why I reintroduced the Refuge from Cruel Trapping Act to prohibit the use of inhumane steel-jaw leghold traps, conibear kill traps, and snares within our National Wildlife Refuge System. We need to address this inherent cruelty and restore the true meaning of ‘refuge.'
-- then U.S. Representative Nita Lowey

A gin trap (British) or leghold trap (American) is, simply, a set of jaws under spring tension with a trigger plate for capturing various types of animals by the head or leg, particularly used in fur trapping and/or pest control. Some include toothed or padded jaws. It is similar to, but different than, a conibear trap and a completely different animal than a snare. When placed on a pole, often for trapping birds, it is known as a pole trap. The word "gin" in this context is commonly accepted to be a shortening of the word "engine," a self-actuating mechanical device.

These traps were widely used in the 18th and 19th centuries, consisting of spring-loaded jaws that snapped shut when triggered by an animal stepping on a plate or pulling bait. However, they were, and are, often criticized for being inhumane, causing injuries to both targeted animals and the unintended, including but not limited to pets and children.

In modern times, many countries have banned or restricted the use of gin traps due to ethical concerns regarding animal welfare. Please consult appropriate local agencies for laws and regulations before use. Or, better yet, don't use at all. The term serves as a reminder of the historical methods employed for trapping animals and the evolving perspectives on humane treatment.

humanely hunted down for wertperch's nodeshell challenge




Also, a tasty adult beverage.


Gin Trap

Ingredients:
  • 2 oz gin
  • 1 oz grapefruit juice
  • 1/2 oz honey syrup
  • Thin slice of grapefruit or peel for garnish
Instructions:
  1. Combine gin, grapefruit juice, and honey syrup in a shaker with ice.
  2. Shake well and strain into a rocks glass over ice.
  3. Garnish with a grapefruit twist or twist of grapefruit.
  4. Enjoy.
See also:

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.