Similar to a loop (a loop is often just a digitized groovelet), it's a... rhythmic feel, for lack of a better phrase. You have reggae grooves, ska grooves, soul grooves, jazz grooves... Origins come from rhythm and blues/black music, but there's also grindcore grooves, grunge grooves, etc. A groove can really only be played by live humans, as it gains most of its charm from minute human imperfections and interactions.

A new software tool/toy created by Groove Networks and recently released to the public at large. It's tagline is "Peer computing comes to the Internet]", which means it's really something like ICQ crossed with Lotus Notes raised to the seventeenth power. Free downloads are available at http://www.groove.net

Groove is, in a nutshell, a software package which lets groups of users collaborate on just about anything. There is no central server. Every user runs a Groove client (called a "transceiver") where they create collaborative "spaces". Users from anywhere on the Internet are invited to join a particular space (either through Groove or by e-mail) and can use any of a number of available tools.

These tools are where Groove really gets interesting, because not only are they flexible, but developers can create new ones and extend Groove almost indefinitely. Included and existing tools include a sketchpad, calendar, notepad, discussion forum, address book, chess game, shared web browser, voice chat, file library, photo album, tic-tac-toe, project outliner, and more. All the information created in a particular space is stored on each client transceiver, and is saved as it's created. If a user is disconnected from the network, they are automatically synchronized with every other user (and securely, to boot) when they rejoin.

Of course, Groove is also completely skinnable, which means you can customize it for a company or stylize it for yourself. Groove is intended for use by businesses, families, and individuals alike, for everything from long-distance meetings to planning church picnics. This noder hopes that the day isn't far off when a Linux client is available and the whole thing is rolled up into a WebTV-like internet appliance for anyone and everyone to use.

Microsoft is doubtless working on reverse engineering the entire package as we speak before it can be made popular on other OS platforms. Pray that it takes them a long, long time.


Transforms from police motorcycle to robot and back!

PROTECTOBOT: GROOVE

FUNCTION: SCOUT
"War is a problem, never a solution."

A full tank, clear skies, open road--that's all he wants out of life. Relaxed, easy going, happy wherever he is. Pacifist--difficult for him to accept his role as part of the Protectobot team. Speed: 140 mph, range: 800 miles. Uses twin vaporators, which shoot mists of oxidizing, freezing, and corrosive liquids; and photon pistol. Combines with fellow Protectobots to form "Defensor".

  • Strength: 4
  • Intelligence: 9
  • Speed: 5
  • Endurance: 7
  • Rank: 6
  • Courage: 8
  • Firepower: 6
  • Skill: 8
Transformers Tech Specs


The Groove toy was the unfortunate example of what happens when you try to carry a gestalt theme too far. Motorcycles always make for bad Transformers because of their centered wheels, and when you try to make a tiny one it's even worse. Groove changed from a CHiPs bike to a robot by throwing the windshield and front tire onto his back to expose the head, flip the seat around to form the feet, swing the exposed engine forward to form the arms, and leave the rear tire sitting right between his legs, giving him no visible means by which to walk. No wonder he was a pacifist by nature.

Groove (?), n. [D. groef, groeve; akin to E. grove. See Grove.]

1.

A furrow, channel, or long hollow, such as may be formed by cutting, molding, grinding, the wearing force of flowing water, or constant travel; a depressed way; a worn path; a rut.

2.

Hence: The habitual course of life, work, or affairs; fixed routine.

The gregarious trifling of life in the social groove. J. Morley.

3. [See Grove.] Mining

A shaft or excavation.

[Prov. Eng.]

 

© Webster 1913.


Groove, v. t. [imp. & p. p. Grooved (?); p. pr. & vb. n. Groving.]

To cut a groove or channel in; to form into channels or grooves; to furrow.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.