A dip in the surface of a river followed by a recirculating wave. Caused by water rushing over a shallow rock or ledge.

There are two basic kinds of holes: 'smiling' holes and 'frowning' holes. The labels reference the shape of the wave at the downstream edge of the hole as viewed from upstream. 'Smiling' holes will tend to throw objects downstream at their edges and 'frowning' holes will tend to keep object forever.

Holes are popular play spots for whitewater paddlers. The can be surfed, spun, squirted, and are the place where whitewater rodeo takes place. Someone who spends a long time in a hole surfing and pulling other moves while others are waiting is likely to be labelled a 'hole hog'.

Hole is an alternative rock band, founded by Courtney Love in 1989. It constists of: Courtney Love , Eric Erlandson, Melissa Auf der Maur and Patty Schemel. Throughout Hole's career, vocalist/guitarist Courtney Love's notorious public image has overshadowed her band's music. From the start, Hole was one of the noisiest, most abrasive alternative bands performing in the early '90s. Love's combative, assaultive persona permeated both the group's music and lyrics, giving the band a tense, unpreditable edge even at their quietest moments.

Hole's latest album is from 1998 and is called Celebrity Skin.

hog = H = hollised

hole n.

A region in an otherwise flat entity which is not actually present. For example, some Unix filesystems can store large files with holes so that unused regions of the file are never actually stored on disk. (In techspeak, these are referred to as `sparse' files.) As another example, the region of memory in IBM PCs reserved for memory-mapped I/O devices which may not actually be present is called `the I/O hole', since memory-management systems must skip over this area when filling user requests for memory.

--The Jargon File version 4.3.1, ed. ESR, autonoded by rescdsk.

The name for a positively charged ion within a material. The name was given by electrical engineering and physics folks. In some materials holes are mobile, that is that atoms which lack electrons can through thermal agitation steal their neighbor's electron leaving their neighbor as a hole. In other materials holes are relatively immobile.


The ideas of electrons and holes form the basis for the understanding of most microelectronic device building blocks such as the P-N Junction, Mosfet, and the BJT.

Hole (hOl), a.

Whole. [Obs.] Chaucer.

 

© Webster 1913


Hole, n. [OE. hol, hole, AS. hol, hole, cavern, from hol, a., hollow; akin to D. hol, OHG. hol, G. hohl, Dan. huul hollow, hul hole, Sw. hål, Icel. hola; prob. from the root of AS. helan to conceal. See Hele, Hell, and cf. Hold of a ship.]

1.

A hollow place or cavity; an excavation; a pit; an opening in or through a solid body, a fabric, etc.; a perforation; a rent; a fissure.

The holes where eyes should be.
Shak.

The blind walls
Were full of chinks and holes.
Tennyson.

The priest took a chest, and bored a hole in the lid.
2 Kings xii. 9.

2.

An excavation in the ground, made by an animal to live in, or a natural cavity inhabited by an animal; hence, a low, narrow, or dark lodging or place; a mean habitation. Dryden.

The foxes have holes, . . . but the Son of man hath not where to lay his head.
Luke ix. 58.

Syn. -- Hollow; concavity; aperture; rent; fissure; crevice; orifice; interstice; perforation; excavation; pit; cave; den; cell.

Hole and corner, clandestine, underhand. [Colloq.] "The wretched trickery of hole and corner buffery." Dickens. --
Hole board (Fancy Weaving), a board having holes through which cords pass which lift certain warp threads; -- called also compass board.

 

© Webster 1913


Hole (?), v. t. [AS. holian. See Hole, n.]

1.

To cut, dig, or bore a hole or holes in; as, to hole a post for the insertion of rails or bars. Chapman.

2.

To drive into a hole, as an animal, or a billiard ball.

 

© Webster 1913


Hole, v. i.

To go or get into a hole. B. Jonson.

 

© Webster 1913


Hole, n. (Games)

(a)

A small cavity used in some games, usually one into which a marble or ball is to be played or driven; hence, a score made by playing a marble or ball into such a hole, as in golf.

(b) (Fives)

At Eton College, England, that part of the floor of the court between the step and the pepperbox.

 

© Webster 1913

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.