Intonation refers to the ability of a guitar to keep it's tuning as it is played down the fretboard. For example, if playing the open E string yields a perfect E, playing an E at the 12th fret should also yield a perfect E. This is determined by the distance between the nut and the bridge of the guitar, as well as the condition of the strings and frets. Most electric guitars allow intonation to be adjusted, either by moving the whole bridge, or each individual string such as with a Gibson tune-o-matic bridge. Acoustic guitars, in general, cannot adjust intonation without altering the bridge in a somewhat permanent manner.

In`to*na"tion (?), n. [See 1st Intonate.]

A thundering; thunder.

[Obs.]

Bailey.

 

© Webster 1913.


In`to*na"tion, n. [Cf. F. intonation. See Intone.] Mus. (a)

The act of sounding the tones of the musical scale.

(b)

Singing or playing in good tune or otherwise; as, her intonation was false.

(c)

Reciting in a musical prolonged tone; intonating, or singing of the opening phrase of a plain-chant, psalm, or canticle by a single voice, as of a priest. See Intone, v. t.

<-- 2. the manner of speaking, esp. the rise and fall of the pitch of the voice while speaking. -->

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.