when music is created using the natural acoustics of an instrument. An instrument that does not use electricity for amplification. Acoustic instruments are designed for a larger vibrating body so that it will produce a louder, natural sound.

Non-electronic music; that is, made without the use of electric guitars, synthesizers, drum machines, vocoders, etc.

Music can certainly be recorded using electronics and still be considered acoustic; the point is that the music heard when you play back the recording should be as close as possible to what you would have heard if you had been there live.

Many musicians have always played acoustic music and think it odd that there should need to be a special name for it. Others have always made electronic music and can't imagine having to use just one or two textures and being forbidden to use loops.

 

I had front row seats
that I didn't sit in
once he started playing

Close enough I could see the sweat
on his forehead, bangs in his eyes
deep in concentration

Close enough I could hear his pick
pause in that quiet between chords
ticking against the fret

Close enough I could see his boot toes
tapping against the side of his stool
keeping time with imaginary drums

I had front row seats
that I didn't really use
once he started singing

I remember every note,
I could feel every word

 

A*cous"tic [F. acoustique, Gr. relating to hearing, fr. to hear.]

Pertaining to the sense of hearing, the organs of hearing, or the science of sounds; auditory.

Acoustic duct, the auditory duct, or external passage of the ear. -- Acoustic telegraph, a telegraph making audible signals; a telephone. -- Acoustic vessels, brazen tubes or vessels, shaped like a bell, used in ancient theaters to propel the voices of the actors, so as to render them audible to a great distance.

 

© Webster 1913.


A*cous"tic, n.

A medicine or agent to assist hearing.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.