(n.) To live is to do.

Humans that live do it for very complicated reasons. We have a large choice of things to do in our life. Some people consider living as doing something enjoyable, exciting, popular, or occupying. You are living correctly if you feel OK. (Unless you are in denial, in which case you won't have a clue.)

"we hope you are OK." - Radiohead, OK Computer
An amazing alternative/rock group, the name is usually in all capital letters though, ie: LIVE. They hit it big with Throwing Copper a long time ago, especially due to songs such as Lightning Crashes, I Alone, Selling the Drama, All Over You, and so on.

They also have a bunch of other albums, starting with "Four Songs" which was released in 1991, followed by "Mental Jewelry" in the same year. After that came "Throwing Copper" in '94, and "Secret Samadhi" in '97. Their latest is "The Distance to Here", released just this year. "Mental Jewelry" was well received thanks to songs like 'Operation Spirit' and 'Pain lies on the riverside'. "Secret Samadhi" wasn't nearly as popular, though it did feature a few good tracks, such as Turn My Head, Freaks, Lakini's Juice, and a couple others which may or may not be liked, depending on one's feelings for the band.

In 2002, the band released a new album, an interesting collection that I can't say too much about at this point, except that it is different, and that it is called "V". The only thing I can note is that Overcome, a track off of this album, is a very intense, moving song. The beautiful aching piano, the video (which features mostly footage from 9/11), the entire thing. I'll try to remember to throw more in here when I've actually given the rest of the album a fair listen.

Among their record labels are Universal International, MCA, Radioactive, and the first they signed with, Giant Records. They started out in Pennsylvania but moved to New York early on, playing clubs wherever they could in order to gain exposure.

They went through a couple of names before actually sticking with LIVE, a few of which include First Aid, before Ed came along, and Public Affection after he was enlisted.

Members of the group include:

Edward Kowalczyk - Lead Vocals & Guitar
Chad Taylor - Guitar & Background Vocals
Patrick Dahlheimer - Bass
Chad Gracey - Drums & Background Vocals

The vocals are at times infinitely potent, and the music is undoubtedly some of the most moving, and completely enthralling that I've ever heard. I have to say that Throwing Copper is definitely their best, and the cover art is also quite neat. There is something about Kowalcyzk's voice that will capture your soul and grip it tightly.. you can feel his words, the music. Listening to them is an experience for me, one that hasn't been matched by anyone or anything in a very long time. Throwing Copper was one of the first albums I could listen to all the way through, liking every single song for different reasons, feeling so many intense emotions. Just one of those bands that I'm completely enamoured with, in case you hadn't picked up on it. Here are some various quotes that I happen to really like..

"the greatest of teachers won't hesitate to leave you there, by yourself, chained to fate"

"warm bodies, I sense, are not machines that can only make money"

"today we lived a thousand years, all we have is now"

See also: Truths from Live

I love these guys, I really do, Pillar of Davidson, Lightning Crashes, some of the most thought-provoking, mind-numbingly amazing songs I've ever heard.
In The Thick of Thin Things

If I could just live until I die, I would indeed be fine, no time lost to hate or pride. No disrupting thoughts or ways, a true joy felt for each day. To laugh and play with a child to stop and listen to an elder. If I could just live until I die. I would relish the bite of a frosty morn and stand in awe of a summer storm. Each person would be as priceless as a Van Gogh. If I could just live until I die. No grudges against another. Each breath a gift from God fresh with wonderful possibilities. If I could just live until I die. I would marvel at the multitude of people and their various gifts. I would share my own gifts freely poured out like running water. If I could just live until I die, then I would not be in the thick of thin things.

little-endian = L = live data

live /li:v/ adj.,adv.

[common] Opposite of `test'. Refers to actual real-world data or a program working with it. For example, the response to "I think the record deleter is finished" might be "Is it live yet?" or "Have you tried it out on live data?" This usage usually carries the connotation that live data is more fragile and must not be corrupted, or bad things will happen. So a more appropriate response might be: "Well, make sure it works perfectly before we throw live data at it." The implication here is that record deletion is something pretty significant, and a haywire record-deleter running amok live would probably cause great harm.

--The Jargon File version 4.3.1, ed. ESR, autonoded by rescdsk.

Also, a kind of Role-Playing Game where the players assume the roles of their characters in thought and action. In other words: If you play Thargor the Barbarian, you would actually walk around in the playing area with your sword and try to kill the ones you want to kill - walking with your feet, swinging an actual (tree?) sword with your own hand at other real people.

The roles and plot are normally made and distributed by the Game Masters. They do also have the final word if decisions need to be made. They can have a part of the game if they want to.

To minimize the risk of actual injuries, there are normally a few rules:

An opportunity to kill is enough. If your opponent lies on the ground sleeping, you don't have to beat him or stab him, just tell him that he's dead.

Hands above head means "off-live". If you have to do something which is not related to the RPG, like asking your room-mate if he remembered to lock the door, you just put a hand above your head. But do never discuss your role or the game itself off-live!

Massage means sex. Instead of normal intercourse, one can for instance massage each other's shoulders. Your role could, after all, include being married to your worst enemy in real life!

This album, released in 1992, is from AC/DC's 1990-1991 World Tour and features such classic songs as Whole Lotta Rosie, Thunderstruck, Back in Black, Hell's Bells, You Shook Me All Night Long, and Highway to Hell. This album captures all the excitement of a live AC/DC performance, with small sections of crowd chanting Angus' name leading into some songs, as well as loyal fans singing their favorite parts. Although it's compiled from many different shows, I feel that the live atmosphere is kept intact. It was only the second live album released by AC/DC since the beginning of their career, with the first being If You Want Blood in 1978. This album was certified platinum in January 2001, according to Billboard.com.

The songs on this album define the genre of heavy metal. Featuring Brian Johnson, Bon Scott's replacement on vocals, and Angus Young's incredible guitar playing, the band's heavy metal power is in full force. The album is produced by Atco.

Track List


http://www.ac-dc-resource-centre.com/
http://www.billboard.com/
Liner notes from the album

Live (?), v. i. [imp. & p. p. Lived (?); p. pr. & vb. n. Living.] [OE. liven, livien, AS. libban, lifian; akin to OS. libbian, D. leven, G. leben, OHG. lebn, Dan. leve, Sw. lefva, Icel. lifa to live, to be left, to remain, Goth. liban to live; akin to E. leave to forsake, and life, Gr. to persist, oily, shining, sleek, fat, lard, Skr. lip to anoint, smear; -- the first sense prob. was, to cleave to, stick to; hence, to remain, stay; and hence, to live.]

1.

To be alive; to have life; to have, as an animal or a plant, the capacity of assimilating matter as food, and to be dependent on such assimilation for a continuance of existence; as, animals and plants that live to a great age are long in reaching maturity.

Thus saith the Lord God unto these bones; Behold, I will . . . lay sinews upon you, and will bring up flesh upon you, and cover you with skin, and put breath in you, and ye shall live. Ezek. xxxvii. 5, 6.

2.

To pass one's time; to pass life or time in a certain manner, as to habits, conduct, or circumstances; as, to live in ease or affluence; to live happily or usefully.

O death, how bitter is the remembrance of thee to a man that liveth at rest in his possessions! Ecclus. xli. 1.

3.

To make one's abiding place or home; to abide; to dwell; to reside.

Jacob lived in the land of Egypt seventeen years. Gen. xlvii. 28.

4.

To be or continue in existence; to exist; to remain; to be permanent; to last; -- said of inanimate objects, ideas, etc.

Men's evil manners live in brass; their virtues We write in water. Shak.

5.

To enjoy or make the most of life; to be in a state of happiness.

What greater curse could envious fortune give Than just to die when I began to live? Dryden.

6.

To feed; to subsist; to be nourished or supported; -- with on; as, horses live on grass and grain.

7.

To have a spiritual existence; to be quickened, nourished, and actuated by divine influence or faith.

The just shall live by faith. Gal. iii. ll.

8.

To be maintained in life; to acquire a livelihood; to subsist; -- with on or by; as, to live on spoils.

Those who live by labor. Sir W. Temple.

9.

To outlast danger; to float; -- said of a ship, boat, etc.; as, no ship could live in such a storm.

A strong mast that lived upon the sea. Shak.

To live out, to be at service; to live away from home as a servant. [U. S.] -- To live with. (a) To dwell or to be a lodger with. (b) To cohabit with; to have intercourse with, as male with female.

 

© Webster 1913.


Live (?), v. t.

1.

To spend, as one's life; to pass; to maintain; to continue in, constantly or habitually; as, to live an idle or a useful life.

2.

To act habitually in conformity with; to practice.

To live the Gospel. Foxe.

To live down, to live so as to subdue or refute; as, to live down slander.

 

© Webster 1913.


Live (?), a. [Abbreviated from alive. See Alive, Life.]

1.

Having life; alive; living; not dead.

If one man's ox hurt another's, that he die; then they shall sell the live ox, and divide the money of it. Ex. xxi. 35.

2.

Being in a state of ignition; burning; having active properties; as, a live coal; live embers.

" The live ether."

Thomson.

3.

Full of earnestness; active; wide awake; glowing; as, a live man, or orator.

4.

Vivid; bright.

" The live carnation."

Thomson.

5. Engin.

Imparting power; having motion; as, the live spindle of a lathe.

<-- 6. (Elec.) connected to a voltage source, as a live wire. 7. (Broadcasting) being transmitted instantaneously, as events occur, in contrast to recorded. 8. (Sport) still in active play -- as a live ball. 9. pertaingin to an entertainment event which was performed (and possibly recorded) in front of an audience; contrasted to performances recorded in a studio without an audience -->

Live birth, the condition of being born in such a state that acts of life are manifested after the extrusion of the whole body. Dunglison. -- Live box, a cell for holding living objects under microscopical examination. P. H. Gosse. -- Live feathers, feathers which have been plucked from the living bird, and are therefore stronger and more elastic. -- Live gang. Sawing See under Gang. -- Live grass Bot., a grass of the genus Eragrostis. -- Live load Engin., a suddenly applied load; a varying load; a moving load; as a moving train of cars on a bridge, or wind pressure on a roof. Live oak Bot., a species of oak (Quercus virens), growing in the Southern States, of great durability, and highly esteemed for ship timber. In California the Q. chrysolepis and some other species are also called live oaks. -- Live ring Engin., a circular train of rollers upon which a swing bridge, or turntable, rests, and which travels around a circular track when the bridge or table turns. -- Live steam , steam direct from the boiler, used for any purpose, in distinction from exhaust steam. -- Live stock, horses, cattle, and other domestic animals kept on a farm. whole body. <-- live wire (a) (Elec.) a wire connected to a power source, having a voltage potential; -- used esp. of a power line with a high potential relative to ground, capable of harming a person who touches it. (b) [MW10] (Fig.) "an alert, active, or aggressive person." -->

 

© Webster 1913.


Live (?), n.

Life.

[Obs.]

Chaucer.

On live, in life; alive. [Obs.] See Alive.

Chaucer.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.