Jog (?), v. t. [imp. & p. p. Jogged (?); p. pr. & vb. n. Jogging (?).] [OE. joggen; cf. W. gogi to shake, and also E. shog, shock, v.]

1.

To push or shake with the elbow or hand; to jostle; esp., to push or touch, in order to give notice, to excite one's attention, or to warn.

Now leaps he upright, jogs me, and cries: Do you see Yonder well-favored youth? Donne.

Sudden I jogged Ulysses, who was laid Fast by my side. Pope.

2.

To suggest to; to notify; to remind; to call the attention of; as, to jog the memory.

3.

To cause to jog; to drive at a jog, as a horse. See Jog, v. i.

 

© Webster 1913.


Jog, v. i.

To move by jogs or small shocks, like those of a slow trot; to move slowly, leisurely, or monotonously; -- usually with on, sometimes with over.

Jog on, jog on, the footpath way. Shak.

So hung his destiny, never to rot,

While he might still jog on and keep his trot. Milton
.

The good old ways our sires jogged safely over. R. Browning.

 

© Webster 1913.


Jog, n.

1.

A slight shake; a shake or push intended to give notice or awaken attention; a push; a jolt.

To give them by turns an invisible jog. Swift.

2.

A rub; a slight stop; an obstruction; hence, an irregularity in motion of from; a hitch; a break in the direction of a line or the surface of a plane.

Glanvill.

Jog trot, a slow, regular, jolting gait; hence, a routine habit or method, persistently adhered to.

T. Hook.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.