Knit (?), v. t. [imp. & p. p. Knit or Knitted; p. pr. & vb. n. Knitting.] [OE. knitten, knutten, As. cnyttan, fr. cnotta knot; akin to Icel. knta, Sw. knyta, Dan. knytte. See Knot.]

1.

To form into a knot, or into knots; to tie together, as cord; to fasten by tying.

A great sheet knit at the four corners. Acts x. 11.

When your head did but ache, I knit my handkercher about your brows. Shak.

2.

To form, as a textile fabric, by the interlacing of yarn or thread in a series of connected loops, by means of needles, either by hand or by machinery; as, to knit stockings.

3.

To join; to cause to grow together.

Nature can not knit the bones while the parts are under a discharge. Wiseman.

4.

To unite closely; to connect; to engage; as, hearts knit together in love.

Thy merit hath my duty strongly knit. Shak.

Come , knit hands, and beat the ground, In a light fantastic round. Milton.

A link among the days, toknit The generations each to each. Tennyson.

5.

To draw together; to contract into wrinkles.

knits his brow and shows an angry eye. Shak.

 

© Webster 1913.


Knit, v. i.

1.

To form a fabric by interlacing yarn or thread; to weave by making knots or loops.

2.

To be united closely; to grow together; as, broken bones will in time knit and become sound.

To knit up, to wind up; to conclude; to come to a close. "It remaineth to knit up briefly with the nature and compass of the seas." [Obs.]

Holland.

 

© Webster 1913.


Knit, n.

Union knitting; texture.

Shak.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.