Persistent Uniform Resource Locator. A PURL is an URL with the persistence properties of an URN. PURLs were conceived by the OCLC as a transitional step toward the eventual standardization and use of URNs on the Web.

Weibel, Stuart, et al. "PURLs: Persistent Uniform Resource Locators." PURL. http://purl.oclc.org/OCLC/PURL/SUMMARY (12 Mar. 2001).

Purl (?), v. t. [Contr. fr. purfile, purfle. See Purfle.]

To decorate with fringe or embroidery.

"Nature's cradle more enchased and purled."

B. Jonson.

 

© Webster 1913.


Purl, n.

1.

An embroidered and puckered border; a hem or fringe, often of gold or silver twist; also, a pleat or fold, as of a band.

A triumphant chariot made of carnation velvet, enriched withpurl and pearl. Sir P. Sidney
.

2.

An inversion of stitches in knitting, which gives to the work a ribbed or waved appearance.

Purl stitch. Same as Purl, n., 2.

 

© Webster 1913.


Purl, v. i. [imp. & p. p. Purled (?); p. pr. & vb. n. Purling.] [Cf. Sw. porla, and E. pur to murmur as a cat.]

1.

To run swiftly round, as a small stream flowing among stones or other obstructions; to eddy; also, to make a murmuring sound, as water does in running over or through obstructions.

Swift o'er the rolling pebbles, down the hills, Louder and louder purl the falling rills. Pope.

2. [Perh. fr. F. perler to pearl, to bead. See Pearl, v. & n.]

To rise in circles, ripples, or undulations; to curl; to mantle.

thin winding breath which purled up to the sky. Shak.

 

© Webster 1913.


Purl, n. [See 3d Purl.]

1.

A circle made by the notion of a fluid; an eddy; a ripple.

Whose stream an easy breath doth seem to blow, Which on the sparkling gravel runs in purles, As though the waves had been of silver curls. Drayton.

2.

A gentle murmur, as that produced by the running of a liquid among obstructions; as, the purl of a brook.

3. [Perh. from F.perler, v. See Purl to mantle.]

Malt liquor, medicated or spiced; formerly, ale or beer in which wormwood or other bitter herbs had been infused, and which was regarded as tonic; at present, hot beer mixed with gin, sugar, and spices.

"Drank a glass of purl to recover appetite." Addison. "Drinking hot purl, and smoking pipes." Dickens.

4. Zool.

A tern.

[Prov. Eng.]

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.