A recipe for a Japanese food, this is a time consuming to prepare meal that is very popular, but is usually bought pre-packaged.

Korokke are from whet I can tell a Japanese croquette recipe adapted to suit the tastes of the japanese people, the recipes I found all are very similar and some do not call for curry.

The background on the food is sketchy and differs depending upon who you consult, the meal looks tasty anyway you slice it though.


Curry Korokke

1/4 pound ground meat
1 pound potatoes
1/2 medium yellow onion, minced
1/2 egg, beaten; to mix with the potato
1 teaspoon curry powder; optional
1 tablespoon oil
salt, pepper and nutmeg to taste
1/2 cup flour
1 egg, beaten (to coat the korokke)
2 cups panko(coarse bread crumbs)
enough canola oil for deep frying
8 cabbage leaves, thinly sliced and soaked in cold water until serving time

Boil or microwave the unpeeled potatoes. Place the oil in a frying pan and add the onion. Saute until the onion is tender. Add the ground meat, salt, pepper, nutmeg and curry powder, then saute about 3 minutes until crumbled. Set the meat aside while you peel and mash the potatoes. Thoroughly mix the potatoes and the meat in a large bowl. Divide the potato mixture into eight parts and shape each portion into a 1/2 inch thick ellipse. Dredge each portion in the flour and pat off the excess flour. Dip them into the egg and then into the bread crumbs on a plate. Deep-fry them at 350F for about 3 minutes on each side until lightly browned. Drain them on paper towels. Serve with thinly sliced cabbage and your favorite sauce.




Sources:

http://www.japan-guide.com/r/e101.html
http://www.nikibone.com/recipe/japanese/currykorokke.html - recipie taken from here, no copyright notice found.
http://www.curry-design.com/recipes%20/Beefframe.html
See also cookery for general reference.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.