Laugh (?), v. i. [imp. & p. p. Laughed (?); p. pr. & vb. n. Laughing.] [OE. laughen, laghen, lauhen, AS. hlehhan, hlihhan, hlyhhan, hliehhan; akin to OS. hlahan, D. & G.lachen, OHG. hlahhan, lahhan, lahhn, Icel. hlaeja. Dan. lee, Sw. le, Goth. hlahjan; perh. of imitative origin.]

1.

To show mirth, satisfaction, or derision, by peculiar movement of the muscles of the face, particularly of the mouth, causing a lighting up of the face and eyes, and usually accompanied by the emission of explosive or chuckling sounds from the chest and throat; to indulge in laughter.

Queen Hecuba laughed that her eyes ran o'er. Shak.

He laugheth that winneth. Heywood's Prov.

2.

Fig.: To be or appear gay, cheerful, pleasant, mirthful, lively, or brilliant; to sparkle; to sport.

Then laughs the childish year, with flowerets crowned. Dryden.

In Folly's cup still laughs the bubble Joy. Pope.

To laugh at, to make an object of laughter or ridicule; to make fun of; to deride.

No wit to flatter left of all his store, No fool to laugh at, which he valued more. Pope.

-- To laugh in the sleeve<-- or to laugh up one's sleeve -->, to laugh secretly, or so as not to be observed, especially while apparently preserving a grave or serious demeanor toward the person or persons laughed at. -- To laugh out, to laugh in spite of some restraining influence; to laugh aloud. -- To laugh out of the other corner (∨ side) of the mouth, to weep or cry; to feel regret, vexation, or disappointment after hilarity or exaltation. [Slang]

 

© Webster 1913.


Laugh, v. t.

1.

To affect or influence by means of laughter or ridicule.

Will you laugh me asleep, for I am very heavy? Shak.

I shall laugh myself to death. Shak.

2.

To express by, or utter with, laughter; -- with out.

From his deep chest laughs out a loud applause. Shak.

To laugh away. (a) To drive away by laughter; as, to laugh away regret. (b) To waste in hilarity. "Pompey doth this day laugh away his fortune." Shak. -- To laugh down. (a) To cause to cease or desist by laughter; as, to laugh down a speaker. (b) To cause to be given up on account of ridicule; as, to laugh down a reform. -- To laugh one out of, to cause one by laughter or ridicule to abandon or give up; as, to laugh one out of a plan or purpose. -- To laugh to scorn, to deride; to treat with mockery, contempt, and scorn; to despise.

 

© Webster 1913.


Laugh (?), n.

An expression of mirth peculiar to the human species; the sound heard in laughing; laughter. See Laugh, v. i.

And the loud laugh that spoke the vacant mind. Goldsmith.

That man is a bad man who has not within him the power of a hearty laugh. F. W. Robertson.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.