Lim"ber (?), n. [For limmer, Icel. limar branches, boughs, pl. of lim; akin to E. limb. See Limb a branch.]

1. pl.

The shafts or thills of a wagon or carriage.

[Prov. Eng.]

2. Mil.

The detachable fore part of a gun carriage, consisting of two wheels, an axle, and a shaft to which the horses are attached. On top is an ammunition box upon which the cannoneers sit.

3. pl. Naut.

Gutters or conduits on each side of the keelson to afford a passage for water to the pump well.

Limber boards Naut., short pieces of plank forming part of the lining of a ship's floor immediately above the timbers, so as to prevent the limbers from becoming clogged. -- Limber box ∨ chest Mil., a box on the limber for carrying ammunition. -- Limber rope, Limber chainLimber clearer Naut., a rope or chain passing through the limbers of a ship, by which they may be cleared of dirt that chokes them. Totten. -- Limber strake Shipbuilding, the first course of inside planking next the keelson.

 

© Webster 1913.


Lim"ber v. t. [imp. & p. p. Limbered (?); p. pr. & vb. n. Limbering.] Mil.

To attach to the limber; as, to limber a gun.

To limber up, to change a gun carriage into a four-wheeled vehicle by attaching the limber. <-- (b) to render limber, esp. to perform light exercises so as to stretch the muscles and tendons gently in preparation for vigorous activity (and thus to avoid straining the muscles by too sudden exertion after prolonged inactivity) -->

 

© Webster 1913.


Lim"ber, a. [Akin to lim, a. See Limp, a.]

Easily bent; flexible; pliant; yielding.

Milton.

The bargeman that doth row with long and limber oar. Turbervile.

 

© Webster 1913.


Lim"ber, v. t.

To cause to become limber; to make flexible or pliant.

Richardson.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.