Motif is a widget set for the X Window System. It's the official Unix98 widget set according to the Open Group. An open source reimplementation called Lesstif is also available.

While Motif is mature, and has many groovy features, it's neither easy to program for nor especially attractive in the eyes of many. This has led to lots and lots of other widget sets, including Gtk+, Qt and XForms.

A motif in chemistry is the combination of an alpha helix and a beta sheet that is found in a number of different proteins. They are fairly recognizable, taking the form of a sort of "super secondary structure". Examples include helix-loop-helix, and coiled coil. They are usually referred to by the orientation and number of the combo between helix, sheet, and coil.

Mo"tif (?), n. [F.]

Motive.

 

© Webster 1913


Mo`tif" (?), n. [F.]

1.

In literature and the fine arts, a salient feature or element of a composition or work; esp., the theme, or central or dominant feature; specif. (Music), a motive.

This motif, of old things lost, is a favorite one for the serious ballade.
R. M. Alden.

The design . . . is . . . based on the peacock -- a motif favored by decorative artists of all ages.
R. D. Benn.

2. (Dressmaking)

A decorative appliqué design or figure, as of lace or velvet, used in trimming.

 

© Webster 1913

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.