I love the way she pauses.

The way she turns her head to one side, bites her tongue and pauses as she thinks about something

and puts her lips together, pauses then goes emm when she is eating something that is- reallygood.

and when she first wakes up, thinking slowly about what to say, pauses and chooses syllables with sleepy eyes

Later, she is talking about a kid in her class, how he can't put thoughts into words, so he draws a picture of the boat and puts it over his head and pause DIS!

Her hands move through her hair with a brush, she pauses and looks up at me through her bangs.. yes?

her eyes follow me, my heart stops as she
pauses

Pause (?), n. [F., fr. L. pausa. See Pose.]

1.

A temporary stop or rest; an intermission of action; interruption; suspension; cessation.

2.

Temporary inaction or waiting; hesitation; suspence; doubt.

I stand in pause where I shall first begin. Shak.

3.

In speaking or reading aloud, a brief arrest or suspension of voice, to indicate the limits and relations of sentences and their parts.

4.

In writing and printing, a mark indicating the place and nature of an arrest of voice in reading; a punctuation point; as, teach the pupil to mind the pauses.

5.

A break or paragraph in writing.

He writes with warmth, which usually neglects method, and those partitions and pauses which men educated in schools observe. Locke.

6. Mus.

A hold. See 4th Hold, 7.

Syn. -- Stop; cessation; suspension.

 

© Webster 1913.


Pause, v. i. [imp. & p. p. Paused (?); p. pr. & vb. n. Pausing.] [Cf. F. pauser, L. pausare. See Pause, n., Pose.]

1.

To make a short stop; to cease for a time; to intermit speaking or acting; to stop; to wait; to rest.

"Tarry, pause a day or two."

Shak.

Pausing while, thus to herself she mused. Milton.

2.

To be intermitted; to cease; as, the music pauses.

3.

To hesitate; to hold back; to delay.

[R.]

Why doth the Jew pause? Take thy forfeiture. Shak.
<-- is this anti-semitic or what? -->

4.

To stop in order to consider; hence, to consider; to reflect.

[R.] "Take time to pause."

Shak.

To pause upon, to deliberate concerning.

Shak.

Syn. -- To intermit; stop; stay; wait; delay; tarry; hesitate; demur.

 

© Webster 1913.


Pause, v. t.

To cause to stop or rest; -- used reflexively.

[R.]

Shak.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.