In chess, a "position" describes an exact arrangement of specific pieces on the chessboard. Especially early in a chess game, during a period known as the "opening," positions are achieved that have been reached many thousands of times in the recorded history of chess. However, because the number potential positions in a chess game increases exponentially with every move, eventually most games arrive at a position that has never been reached before in the recorded history of chess.

Positions can be evaluated and assessed through chess analysis and/or computer evaluation to determine which side (white or black) seems to have an advantage. Positions are typically assessed on a scale from "crushing" (a huge advantage for one player) to "winning" (a strong advantage) to "better" (a slight advantage) to "drawn" (no clear advantage for either player). Positional advantages can be improved or lost over time if one player or the other makes a blunder or a series of mistakes or inaccuracies.

Po*si"tion (?), n. [F. position, L. positio, fr. ponere, positum, to put, place; prob. for posino, fr. an old preposition used only in comp. (akin to Gr. ) + sinere to leave, let, permit, place. See Site, and cf. Composite, Compound, v., Depone, Deposit, Expound, Impostor, Opposite, Propound, Pose, v., Posit, Post, n.]

1.

The state of being posited, or placed; the manner in which anything is placed; attitude; condition; as, a firm, an inclined, or an upright position.

We have different prospects of the same thing, according to our different positions to it. Locke.

2.

The spot where a person or thing is placed or takes a place; site; place; station; situation; as, the position of man in creation; the fleet changed its position.

3.

Hence: The ground which any one takes in an argument or controversy; the point of view from which any one proceeds to a discussion; also, a principle laid down as the basis of reasoning; a proposition; a thesis; as, to define one's position; to appear in a false position.

Let not the proof of any position depend on the positions that follow, but always on those which go before. I. Watts.

4.

Relative place or standing; social or official rank; as, a person of position; hence, office; post; as, to lose one's position.

5. Arith.

A method of solving a problem by one or two suppositions; -- called also the rule of trial and error.

Angle of position Astron., the angle which any line (as that joining two stars) makes with another fixed line, specifically with a circle of declination. -- Double position Arith., the method of solving problems by proceeding with each of two assumed numbers, according to the conditions of the problem, and by comparing the difference of the results with those of the numbers, deducing the correction to be applied to one of them to obtain the true result. -- Guns of position Mil., heavy fieldpieces, not designed for quick movements. -- Position finder Mil., a range finder. See under Range. -- Position micrometer, a micrometer applied to the tube of an astronomical telescope for measuring angles of position in the field of view. -- Single position Arith., the method of solving problems, in which the result obtained by operating with an assumed number is to the true result as the number assumed is to the number required. -- Strategic position Mil., a position taken up by an army or a large detachment of troops for the purpose of checking or observing an opposing force.

Syn. -- Situation; station; place; condition; attitude; posture; proposition; assertion; thesis.

 

© Webster 1913.


Po*si"tion (?), v. t.

To indicate the position of; to place.

[R.]

Encyc. Brit.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.