The undergraduate major to prepare medical students for graduate and medical school. Usually associated with extremely hard classes and 24 hour studying. A student with this major could also be called a pre-med.


During my freshman year at college I discovered why pre-med is so popular. My roommate that year was a "pre-med" major. I was surprised when it became apparent that he was a lot better at partying than he was at studying.

One day he was telling me that the first couple years of the pre-med curriculum are identical to the curriculum of English, art, science, etc. at our university. In reality, he had no idea what he wanted to do with his life.

"So," I asked him, "why did you decide to major in pre-med and not something like general studies?" He grinned back at me. "The reason is simple, I'm majoring in pre-med to impress chicks and make my parents happy." Wow, that is total BS, I thought to myself. Why hadn't I thought of that?

This whole memory resurfaced recently when I heard one of those dating radio shows. It involved a college girl desperate to find a guy, and lots of college guys briefly introducing themselves. You know, "Yeah... hi I'm Joe Shmoe, I like to play checkers, and I study geology at Little Rock U."

I'll just say that I wasn't very surprised when she picked the "pre-med" major.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.