Contrary to popular belief, a rim-shot is not a drum riff...It is the sound made when the stick hits the drum at a shallow angle to hit both the skin with the tip of the stick, and the rim with the length of the stick at the same time, causing a louder and sharper sound. Sounds best on the snare drum.

It is usually used as an accent to...ehm...accentuate (sorry!) the start or end of a bar or simply when the drummer feels it's necessary.

I think that the original creator of this node was referring to a Buzz Roll. This is the sound normally associated with the suspense type of roll at a circus, beheading ceremony on TV etc..It is a more constant sound caused by a light and repetitive, alternate bounce of the sticks on the snare drum skin. Rather difficult to achieve for an inexperienced drummer like myself.

Also a type of shot in basketball where the ball hits the rim but does not go in the basket. I am unsure whether this is a technical term or just slang. In backyard basketball, a common rule is that you must return the ball to a certain point if the opposing team shoots a rimshot.

More specifically, you place and hold one drum stick so that its tip rests roughly in the center of the drum head, and the shaft of the stick rests on the raised rim of the drum. Then you strike that stick with the other one, somewhere between the tip and where it's resting on the rim. This method is commonly used on a drum set or in the rare occasions when a rim shot is required for an orchestra or concert band.

The other method is an actual stroke and is executed with only one stick: you position the stick in the downstroke such that its tip strikes the head at the same time as the shaft strikes the rim. This is commonly used in marching bands and drum corps, in which the drum line is playing marching snares. A rim shot, or shot for short, is really damned loud on a marching snare. In drumspeak, it is "chauk". Another variant is the ping shot.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.