display | more...
Australian slang term for a rolling paper. Recently, British American Tobacco has brought out a brand of rolling papers which they have cleverly named rollies, but someone walks up to you in the pub and asks if you have a spare rollie they really don't give a damn what brand you are using.

A hand-rolled cigarette is also known as a rollie. This term is common throughout the country as well as in New Zealand, and possibly also in Papua New Guinea.

This follows the standard Australian pattern of changing the end of nouns to either "ie" or "o" - barbeque -> barbie, conducter -> connie, service station --> servo etc. It is even more common in the case of proper names, eg: David--> Davo, Stewart --> Stewie and even Jane --> Jane-o.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.