Room (?), n. [OE. roum, rum, space, AS. r&umac;m; akin to OS., OFries. & Icel. r&umac;m, D. ruim, G. raum, OHG. r&umac;m, Sw. & Dan. rum, Goth. r&umac;ms, and to AS. r&umac;m, adj., spacious, D. ruim, Icel. r&umac;mr, Goth. r&umac;ms; and prob. to L. rus country (cf. Rural), Zend rava&ndot;h wide, free, open, ravan a plain.]

1.

Unobstructed spase; space which may be occupied by or devoted to any object; compass; extent of place, great or small; as, there is not room for a house; the table takes up too much room.

Lord, it is done as thou hast commanded, and yet there is room. Luke xiv. 22.

There was no room for them in the inn. Luke ii. 7.

2.

A particular portion of space appropriated for occupancy; a place to sit, stand, or lie; a seat.

If he have but twelve pence in his purse, he will give it for the best room in a playhouse. Overbury.

When thou art bidden of any man to a wedding, sit not down in the highest room. Luke xiv. 8.

3.

Especially, space in a building or ship inclosed or set apart by a partition; an apartment or chamber.

I found the prince in the next room. Shak.

4.

Place or position in society; office; rank; post; station; also, a place or station once belonging to, or occupied by, another, and vacated.

[Obs.]

When he heard that Archelaus did reign in Judea in the room of his father Herod. Matt. ii. 22.

Neither that I look for a higher room in heaven. Tyndale.

Let Bianca take her sister's room. Shak.

5.

Possibility of admission; ability to admit; opportunity to act; fit occasion; as, to leave room for hope.

There was no prince in the empire who had room for such an alliance. Addison.

Room and space Shipbuilding, the distance from one side of a rib to the corresponding side of the next rib; space being the distance between two ribs, in the clear, and room the width of a rib. -- To give room, to withdraw; to leave or provide space unoccupied for others to pass or to be seated. -- To make room, to open a space, way, or passage; to remove obstructions; to give room.

Make room, and let him stand before our face. Shak.

Syn. -- Space; compass; scope; latitude.

 

© Webster 1913.


Room (?), v. i. [imp. & p. p. Roomed (?); p. pr. & vb. n. Rooming.]

To occupy a room or rooms; to lodge; as, they arranged to room together.

 

© Webster 1913.


Room, a. [AS. r&umac;m.]

Spacious; roomy.

[Obs.]

No roomer harbour in the place. Chaucer.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.