In Orson Scott Card's book Xenocide, Outside is an area in which aiuas originate. If anything sentient goes there, they can create anything they can imagine. Can be used for faster-than-light travel, but only with the help of the superbeing Jane.

KANJI: GAI GE hoka (outside, outer, other, undo)

ASCII Art Representation:

        %%%,                  %%,,
        %%%%%%                %%%%%
        %%%%%                 %%%%
       ,%%%%                  %%%%
       %%%%         ,%%%,     %%%%
      ,%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%    %%%%
      %%%%          %%%%%     %%%%
     %%%%           %%%%"     %%%%
    %%%%           %%%%"      %%%%,
   %%%" %%,       ,%%%%       %%%%%%
  %%%"   %%%,     %%%%        %%%%%%%%,
,%%"     %%%%%   %%%%         %%%% "%%%%,
%"        %%%%  %%%%"         %%%%   %%%%%,
           """ %%%%"          %%%%    "%%%%%%%,
              %%%%            %%%%      ""%%%%%
             %%%%             %%%%         """
            %%%%              %%%%
           %%%%               %%%%
         ,%%%"                %%%%
       ,%%%"                  %%%%
    ,,%%""                    %%%%
  ,%%%"                       %%%%
%%""                          %%%%
                              "%%"

Character Etymology:

This character is the combination of the radical for crescent moon and a figurative representation of a crack. The crack represents a crack in a turtle shell used for divination, and is in fact a character that is no longer in general use meaning divination..

The crecent moon is used to phonetically express something being split open and it also lends its rounded shape to suggest a turtle shell. Since the cracks ususally formed on the outside (convex) surface of the shell, this character came to mean outside/outer. Other and undo are associated meanings.

A Listing of All On-Yomi and Kun-Yomi Readings:

on-yomi: GAI GE
kun-yomi: soto hoka hazu(su) hazu(reru) to-

Nanori Readings:

Nanori: ui ke fuka

English Definitions:

  1. DE, GAI: outside, without, beside, beyond the scope of.
  2. hazu(su): take off, remove, unfasten, undo, detach, disconnect, put out of gear; miss, fail; avoid, evade, dodge.
  3. hazu(reru): be off, come off, be or get out of place, dislocated, be off the hook (a phone), unzipped.
  4. hazu(re): end, verge, extremity, tip; outskirts; miss, failure.
  5. soto: outside, exterior, open air.
  6. hoka: some other place; outside; the rest.
  7. hoka no: other, another, different.
  8. no hoka ni: with the exception of.
  9. hoka, nanaru: none other than, nothing but.

Character Index Numbers:

New Nelson: 1125
Henshall: 91

Unicode Encoded Version:

Unicode Encoded Compound Examples:

(gaijin): foreigner, alien.
(gaiji): a character not in the JIS Kanji; foreign letters, foreign language.
(gaikoku kawase): foreign exchange.

 

  Previous: shellfish  |  The Japanese Kanji Metanode  |  Next: between

Outside is an Alaskan term used to denote every place in the world that is not Alaska. For example: Two Alaskans meet up after the holidays, and one says to the other, "Did you go Outside for the holidays, or did you stay at home?" This is consistent with the Alaskan mindset that Alaska is the center of the universe, and all else is an adventure into the unknown. (See also: lower 48)

Out"side` (?), n.

1.

The external part of a thing; the part, end, or side which forms the surface; that which appears, or is manifest; that which is superficial; the exterior.

There may be great need of an outside where there is little or nothing within. South.

Created beings see nothing but our outside. Addison.

2.

The part or space which lies without an inclosure; the outer side, as of a door, walk, or boundary.

I threw open the door of my chamber, and found the family standing on the outside. Spectator.

3.

The furthest limit, as to number, quantity, extent, etc.; the utmost; as, it may last a week at the outside.

4.

One who, or that which, is without; hence, an outside passenger, as distinguished from one who is inside. See Inside, n. 3.

[Colloq. Eng.]

 

© Webster 1913.


Out"side` (?), a.

1.

Of or pertaining to the outside; external; exterior; superficial.

2.

Reaching the extreme or farthest limit, as to extent, quantity, etc.; as, an outside estimate.

[Colloq.]

Outside finish Arch., a term for the minor parts, as corner boards, hanging stiles, etc., required to complete the exterior of a wooden building; -- rare in masonry.

 

© Webster 1913.


Out"side` (?), adv.

or prep. On or to the outside (of); without; on the exterior; as, to ride outside the coach; he stayed outside.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.