The ROT is the running object table in Windows. It lets you know which COM objects still have a ref count of higher than zero. There is a tool, called ROT viewer (IROTVIEW application) that gets installed with visual studio. If you look up the GUIDs that still have ref counts, you can reverse look them up in the registry to see what is running. So if you launch an app that uses COM components (Excel, Word, Powerpoint, etc), you can turn on the ROT viewer and see that the GUID for Excel.Application (or Word.Application, or what not)is running.

What does this mean? That means all of those arcane numbers in the registry look up to being different applications with COM components.

Also in many European countries, rot stands for curl.
The rotational of a vector field F is calculated as × F

Rot (?), v. i. [imp. & p. p. Rotted; p. pr. & vb. n. Rotting.] [OE. rotien, AS. rotian; akin to D. rotten, Prov. G. rotten, OHG. rozzn, G. rosten to steep flax, Icel. rotna to rot, Sw. ruttna, Dan. raadne, Icel. rottin rotten. &root;117. Cf. Ret, Rotten.]

1.

To undergo a process common to organic substances by which they lose the cohesion of their parts and pass through certain chemical changes, giving off usually in some stages of the process more or less offensive odors; to become decomposed by a natural process; to putrefy; to decay.

Fixed like a plant on his peculiar spot, To draw nutrition, propagate, and rot. Pope.

2.

Figuratively: To perish slowly; to decay; to die; to become corrupt.

Four of the sufferers were left to rot in irons. Macaulay.

Rot, poor bachelor, in your club. Thackeray.

Syn. -- To putrefy; corrupt; decay; spoil.

 

© Webster 1913.


Rot, v. t.

1.

To make putrid; to cause to be wholly or partially decomposed by natural processes; as, to rot vegetable fiber.

2.

To expose, as flax, to a process of maceration, etc., for the purpose of separating the fiber; to ret.

 

© Webster 1913.


Rot, n.

1.

Process of rotting; decay; putrefaction.

2. Bot.

A disease or decay in fruits, leaves, or wood, supposed to be caused by minute fungi. See Bitter rot, Black rot, etc., below.

3. [Cf. G. rotz glanders.]

A fatal distemper which attacks sheep and sometimes other animals. It is due to the presence of a parasitic worm in the liver or gall bladder. See 1st Fluke, 2.

His cattle must of rot and murrain die. Milton.

Bitter rot Bot., a disease of apples, caused by the fungus Glaeosporium fructigenum. F. L. Scribner. -- Black rot Bot., a disease of grapevines, attacking the leaves and fruit, caused by the fungus Laestadia Bidwellii. F. L. Scribner. -- Dry rot Bot. See under Dry. -- Grinder's rot Med. See under Grinder. -- Potato rot. Bot. See under Potato. -- White rot Bot., a disease of grapes, first appearing in whitish pustules on the fruit, caused by the fungus Coniothyrium diplodiella. F. L. Scribner.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.