(noun) In programming (computer programming, that is), a coded series of programming instructions for carrying out some recurring or frequently used task in a program.

Informally, you could say that a routine is a way to wrap up some code you've written so that you only have to write it once instead of having to copy or re-write it in several different places in your program. This is an example of code reuse.

This word useage is similar to everyday useage, where "routine" refers to frequently recurring activities in Real Life.

Some programming languages give routines the formal names function, procedure or subroutine. Routines often encode algorithms.

Example: a routine (in BASIC) to take the value of variable X to the 10th power.


100 SUBROUTINE P10
110 LET X = X * X
120 LET X = X * X * X * X * X
130 RETURN


There are hundreds of steps
thousands?
From the parking lot to the front door of my work
each day,
routine, and therefore uncounted

A parade of strangers walks in front of me
or beside me
the clipped sounds of so many heels
Fragrances, familiar and obscure
some eyes averted, others bright as jewelry
None of them yours

There are hundreds of steps
millions?
From the front door of my work to the parking lot
each day,
while yours are still
unaccounted for

Rou*tine" (?), n. [F., fr. route a path, way, road. See Route, Roterepetition.]

1.

A round of business, amusement, or pleasure, daily or frequently pursued; especially, a course of business or offical duties regularly or frequently returning.

2.

Any regular course of action or procedure rigidly adhered to by the mere force of habit.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.