For best results: Read entire recipe, including notes, thoroughly before beginning.

Beginner's Royal Icing

Beat all ingredients together until icing forms peaks, about 7-10 minutes at low speed with a stand mixer or 10-12 minutes at high speed with a hand-held mixer.

Check the consistency of the icing. If too stiff, add more water, 1 teaspoon at a time, until desired consistency is achieved. If too thin, add powdered sugar, a little at a time, until desired consistency is achieved. Anything done should be done until the desired consistency is achieved.

For stiff consistency: Use 1 tablespoon less water. Stiff royal icing is preferred for making 3-D decorations. With stiffer royal icing, opt for larger piping tips to relieve the pressure on the piping bag.

Medium consistency for outlining: Add 1/8 teaspoons of water for every cup of stiff icing. Use a flat utensil like a small angled or straight silicone spatula, to mix icing in a figure 8 motion. Avoid beating or mixing vigorously.

Thin consistency for flooding: To thin for pouring, add 1 teaspoon water per cup of royal icing. Use a grease-free spoon or spatula to stir slowly. Add 1/2 teaspoon water at a time until you reach proper consistency. Use a flat utensil, like a small angled or straight silicone spatula, to mix in a figure 8 motion. Avoid beating or mixing vigorously.

  • 10-second test: Take some icing on a spatula and drop it back down into the bowl to check for the correct thin consistency for flooding. If it sinks after a full count of 10, then the consistency is thin enough for flooding.
  • Let icing sit for 15 minutes to an hour to let air bubbles rise naturally. Alternately, tap the bowl on the table several times to force the air bubbles up. Gently stir the top surface to release the air.
  • If decorating with sprinkles, let stand 1 to 2 minutes before adding, so the sprinkles adhere.

Makes about 3 cups of icing.

Tips & Tricks

Use grease-free tools: Keep all icing utensils and bowls completely grease-free for proper icing consistency and to ensure the icing properly sets.

Use Meringue Powder: Meringue powder is a must for this recipe. Do not substitute with raw egg whites (which can be a food safety issue) or dried egg whites; neither will produce the same results as meringue powder, a pasteurized dried egg white product that is used in recipes when food safety is a concern. It also helps to make the icing dry hard. Look for it in the baking aisle of the grocery store.

Don't overbeat: Do not overbeat the royal icing base. This will incorporate too much air, which will create bubbles. Vigorous stirring will also create air bubbles. If any air bubbles form as you spread the glaze, pop with a toothpick or wooden skewer for a smoother surface.

Cover with a damp towel: Cover the decorating tip with a warm, damp towel to prevent the royal icing from drying when not in use.

To speed up the drying process: Royal icing can take up to 2 hours to dry. Place iced treats in front of a fan to speed up the icing's drying process.

Storage: Store royal icing in an airtight container at room temperature for up to two weeks. Before reusing, re-whip using a paddle attachment on low speed until it's back to the correct consistency.

Never store royal icing decorations in the freezer. Instead keep decorations in an airtight container in a dry, dark place to prevent fading for up to 6 months.

The icing may be colored or flavored using the food coloring or flavoring agent of choice, making sure the desired consistency is achieved.


iron noder

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.