One of the commonest forms of social control. Rumor is a method of praising or damning another's actions, and expressing the community opinion. Commonly denigrated in just about every society, rumor (or rumour, as i more frequently spell it), is an avenue for subaltern expression of social power. This is, it is a regulatory technique that can be used by the most disempowered (generally, stereotypically, women) in a community.
Rumor is just about invariably a conservative force, but may occasionally act in opposition to entrenched and publically sanctioned top-down expressions of power (tribal leadership, church, law).

Ru"mor (?), n. [F. rumeur, L. rumor; cf. rumificare, rumitare to rumor, Skr. ru to cry.] [Written also rumour.]

1.

A flying or popular report; the common talk; hence, public fame; notoriety.

This rumor of him went forth throughout all Judea, and throughout all the region round about. Luke vii. 17.

Great is the rumor of this dreadful knight. Shak.

2.

A current story passing from one person to another, without any known authority for its truth; -- in this sense often personified.

Rumor next, and Chance, And Tumult, and Confusion, all embroiled. Milton.

3.

A prolonged; indistinct noise.

[Obs.]

Shak.

 

© Webster 1913.


Ru"mor, v. t. [imp. & p. p. Rumored (?); p. pr. & vb. n. Rumoring.]

To report by rumor; to tell.

'T was rumored My father 'scaped from out the citadel. Dryden.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.