Pertaining to the countryside. In Europe and America, rural areas are mostly utilised for farming. Rural people often have a very high understanding of technology, particularly the internet since e-commerce is a damn sight more attractive when there are no shops on your doorstep. This is why rural areas are home to so many net.yokels.

Ru"ral (?), a. [F., fr. L.ruralis, fr. rus, ruris, the country. Cf. Room space, Rustic.]

1.

Of or pertaining to the country, as distinguished from a city or town; living in the country; suitable for, or resembling, the country; rustic; as, rural scenes; a rural prospect.

Here is a rural fellow; . . . He brings you figs. Shak.

2.

Of or pertaining to agriculture; as, rural economy.

Rural dean. Eccl. See under Dean. -- Rural deanery Eccl., the state, office, or residence, of a rural dean.

Syn. -- Rustic. -- Rural, Rustic. Rural refers to the country itself; as, rural scenes, prospects, delights, etc. Rustic refers to the character, condition, taste, etc., of the original inhabitans of the country, who were generally uncultivated and rude; as, rustic manners; a rustic dress; a rustic bridge; rustic architecture, etc.

We turn To where the silver Thames first rural grows. Thomson.

Lay bashfulness, that rustic virtue, by; To manly confidence thy throughts apply. Dryden.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.