/=-=\
Weekend Sound Track
\=-=/



"We're all all right..."




The Park was a defunct theatre in downtown Holland, MI that Shannon Stewart rented out and turned into one of the finest dance clubs a true 'alternative' teenager could ever hope for in 1989. Pre-grunge, post-punk children of Reagan gathered here week in and week out, year round, decked out in the worst the Salvation Army had to offer. Punks, goths, techno weenies, industrials, straight-edgers, poseurs and the truly hard core would be making out in the Balcony, grooving on the Stage or slamming in the Pit, kicking each other's heads in.

Saturday night was the smell of the smoke machine, tracers from the light show and the deep thump of the subs moving through your teenage bones with the speed of adrenaline and an aftertaste of nicotine.

For a lucky few of us it was both a home and a job. Lawnjart, the gilded frame, thefez, robnotrob, clampe, TheMagus, myself and a half-dozen other of our closest friends (who had the good sense to never, ever make an account on E2) ran the place. We were doormen, bouncers, dj's and the poor bastards who cleaned up the puke, piss and blood at 3am before hitting the local Denny's for what I liked to call the 'big mistake slam'.

Those were the times, that's what it was. Where it was at. The music could never quite survive outside of The Park ... 'Hit That Perfect Beat' couldn't work at the beach and Book of Love's 'Witchcraft' was just embarrassing in the light of day. Jogging to Kon Kan? Below is my set list, good only for one night in the late eighties, when the tired radio is playing Def Leppard's 'Hysteria' and you can't get the fucking chorus for 'Man in the Mirror' out of your head. Pack four friends into the '84 Ford Escort with no rearview, kick the tape deck in hopes of Disintegration and speed madly towards The Park.

$5 at the door ... unless you're with us.



- Ryan Postma

Balcony: (11pm-Midnight)

Track I (18:03)

00:00 Book of Love - Tubular Bells / Pretty Boys and Pretty Girls (#1 Crushed)
14:00 The Farm - Groovy Train

Track II (16:35) ((34:38))

00:00 The Happy Mondays - Step On (Twistin' My Melon Mix)
05:42 Kon Kan - I Beg Your Pardon (12 inch)
13:28 Siouxsie and the Banshees - Peek-A-Boo

Track III (22:08) ((56:46))

00:00 Erasure - Stop!
02:45 Big Audio Dynamite - Rush
07:00 Blur - There's No Other Way
10:16 School of Fish - Three Strange Days
17:05 Anything Box - Living In Oblivion

Track IV (3:40) ((60:26))

00:00 Alphaville - Forever Young

Stage: (Midnight-1am)

Track I (22:54)

00:00 The Sisters of Mercy - 1959
03:59 Moby - New Dawn Fades
09:30 The Talking Heads - Burning Down The House
13:11 Bronski Beat - Hit That Perfect Beat
19:02 Real Life - Send Me An Angel

Track II (27:52) ((50:46))

00:00 The Cure - Just Like Heaven
03:24 Bjork - Army of Me
07:11 Opus III - Fine Night Tonight (remix)
13:34 Erasure - Sweet Sweet Baby (medi-mix)
17:46 Book of Love - Witchcraft
21:10 The Smiths - How Soon Is Now?

Track III (9:19) ((60:05))

00:00 The Church - Under The Milky Way
04:50 The Cure - One More Time

Pit: (1am-2am)

Track I (29:14)

00:00 My Life With The Thrill Kill Kult - 'Cuz It's Hot (shut the fuck up mix)
10:16 Prodigy - Breathe (this poor man wants to dance!)
14:10 Consolidated - Guerillas in the Mist (CNN?)
18:34 The Ministry - N.W.O.
23:49 The Revolting Cocks - Beers, Steers and Queers (drop your britches mix)

Track II (30:56) ((60:10))

00:00 My Life With The Thrill Kill Kult - A Daisy Chain For Satan
06:20 White Zombie - More Human Than Human (meet bambi in the king's court mix)
10:37 Bauhaus - Third Uncle
14:42 The Sisters of Mercy - More
23:03 Morrissey - Sing your Life
26:12 The The - This Is The Day






Bold and italics means this is an 'official' mix, endorsed by the band and probably of some reasonable quality

Just italics means it's a dem bones original mix/edit, most likely involving nothing more than a few samples cheesily placed before the break beat

Available on compact disc Monday, June 18, 2001.




10pm-==- 2am