Shave (?),

obs. p. p. of Shave.

Chaucer.

His beard was shave as nigh as ever he can. Chaucer.

 

© Webster 1913.


Shave, v. t. [imp. Shaved (?);p. p. Shaved or Shaven (); p. pr. & vb. n. Shaving.] [OE. shaven, schaven, AS. scafan, sceafan; akin to D. schaven, G. schaben, Icel. skafa, Sw. skafva, Dan. skave, Goth. scaban, Russ. kopate to dig, Gr. , and probably to L. scabere to scratch, to scrape. Cf. Scab, Shaft, Shape.]

1.

To cut or pare off from the surface of a body with a razor or other edged instrument; to cut off closely, as with a razor; as, to shave the beard.

2.

To make bare or smooth by cutting off closely the surface, or surface covering, of; especially, to remove the hair from with a razor or other sharp instrument; to take off the beard or hair of; as, to shave the face or the crown of the head; he shaved himself.

I'll shave your crown for this. Shak.

The laborer with the bending scythe is seen Shaving the surface of the waving green. Gay.

3.

To cut off thin slices from; to cut in thin slices.

Plants bruised or shaven in leaf or root. Bacon.

4.

To skim along or near the surface of; to pass close to, or touch lightly, in passing.

Now shaves with level wing the deep. Milton.

5.

To strip; to plunder; to fleece.

[Colloq.]

To shave a note, to buy it at a discount greater than the legal rate of interest, or to deduct in discounting it more than the legal rate allows. [Cant, U.S.]

 

© Webster 1913.


Shave (?), v. i.

To use a razor for removing the beard; to cut closely; hence, to be hard and severe in a bargain; to practice extortion; to cheat.

 

© Webster 1913.


Shave (?), n. [AS. scafa, sceafa, a sort of knife. See Shave, v. t.]

1.

A thin slice; a shaving.

Wright.

2.

A cutting of the beard; the operation of shaving.

3. (a)

An exorbitant discount on a note.

[Cant, U.S.] (b)

A premium paid for an extension of the time of delivery or payment, or for the right to vary a stock contract in any particular.

[Cant, U.S.]

N. Biddle.

4.

A hand tool consisting of a sharp blade with a handle at each end; a drawing knife; a spokeshave.

5.

The act of passing very near to, so as almost to graze; as, the bullet missed by a close shave.

[Colloq.]

Shave grass Bot., the scouring rush. See the Note under Equisetum. -- Shave hook, a tool for scraping metals, consisting of a sharp-edged triangular steel plate attached to a shank and handle.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.